Turbo's

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
What is everyone's preference? If you had the choice between a Banks sidewinder kit (non wastgate) and a ATS (also non wastegate) kit. Who would choose what and why? Is one better than the other? :dunno Thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I honestly dont think that there would be much of a difference...they are probably just about as good as the other. Maybe someone will chime in but I think the ATS turbo is easier to instal/is in a better position, but I'm probably wrong on that LOL :D. I would probably go with ATS cause they might still have parts for them, even though getting parts from ATS might be a pain, they should still stock some parts.

I thought you had a turbo.....

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I've heard that the ATS makes a little more boost, but i'm not 100% on that, and it might only apply to the newer turbos. Banks isn't walking, they're running away from the IDI market. ATS cust. service seems to be hit and miss. Hypermax appears to have the best customer service, still offers a new turbo at the lowest price, and was founded by IH engineers.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having rebuilt the center sections of both , they take the same parts,wheels and such, the advantage may be in the plumbing between the two.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's preference? If you had the choice between a Banks sidewinder kit (non wastgate) and a ATS (also non wastegate) kit. Who would choose what and why? Is one better than the other? :dunno Thanks

If I wanted a non-wastegate, Hypermax is the hands down better choice. If wastegated is the desire, I'd have to think harder about that, but given Banks announcement that they are exiting the IDI turbo kit market, I'd go ATS because of parts availability and Ford factory relationship.

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
FordGuy100,
I do have one. A Banks sidewinder. But since it will be awhile before I put mine on and I might have a line on a ATS later down the road. I'm thinking about selling mine. It seems that no matter which one I run, I will be modifying it slightly. For the Banks set up I do not want to use that ********* square air box. The ATS is out of a truck with a stick and my truck is an automatic. Plus I would like to run an intercooler at a later date. Not sure of my direction as of yet. Just thinking out loud. Thanks all.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I think the ATS turbo kits are designed so that you could upgrade them to use their intercooler, so that was built into the design of the intake (for the filter and what not), and things of that sort. I think that both have their pro's and con's....but I think I would stick with you Banks. Less modifying and less costly (I think ATS want an arm and a leg for those pipes).

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well from someone who just bolted on an ATS - let's just say it's hauls some serious tail now. Faster than I'm willing to drive my truck certainly with pedal left. In fact I'm thinking of turning her back 1/2 a flat...

Any turbo would be an improvement :)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hypermax is the best :D who wants a wastegate

I do ;Sweet. The drive from town to my house has a lot of sharp turns in it. A lot of times I come off the corner at some really low rpm in 4th gear, so having my turbo spool faster is really nice.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do ;Sweet. The drive from town to my house has a lot of sharp turns in it. A lot of times I come off the corner at some really low rpm in 4th gear, so having my turbo spool faster is really nice.

Yup, +2 on that. Hauling about 4000lbs. of sod in the bed last weekend, the turbo was making boost below 1000 RPM when needed!;Sweet

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I mean, there are advantages to both, and for my use a wastegate fits it better. If I was to be say a hot shot driver or something that was always pulling through the Rookies then I would want a non gated, cause usually on interstate roads there arent sharp bends, so your rpm's wouldnt get to low where a wastegated turbo has its advantage....and you would have lower EGT's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online