Turboing a 6.9

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look no way you will see 500 with stock pump and a turbo...not happening...

Get off the PIPE dream, the boys here are in the KNOW...

You want that level of power you need to $$$$pend a decent amount of Coin to get there...

The banks thing is a piece of paper called marketing mantra and that's all.

Without an IC and a good solid pump and decent turbo setup and cam you likely won't see 500 so expect in the neighborhood of 3K of coin gone.

Go buy a power stroke and chip it if you want power cheap, these trucks take a fair bit of work but they do respond well to $$$ invested.

Good luck.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Well I want my truck to be able to take my friends 1st gen cummins in a tug of war his is stock at 160hp and 400 torque but it has 356k. But he's super cocky about it and I would love for the 6.9 to beat it. Even if I can get the 525 banks claim I wouldn't be to upset. But I just want to take all the precautions before doing it
Your truck will Never beat a Cummins. Your more than likely going to Break Stuff. I've never done a Tug. And I will never do one(I don't need to Out Pull someone to Feel big about Myself)
But Hey it's Your Truck/Money.
TREAT YOUR GREAT GRAMPAS TRUCK WITH RESPECT!
leave it the F alone.
if you wanna do dumb ****, get a beater.
:backoff

This. X2

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So on a stock pump and Injectors with a inter cooled turbo setup would 500ft lbs be a do able thing?

For one, at your mileage, if your pump and injectors are original they are nearing their service life anyway. So start with them but also start saving for upgrades. I would anticipate making the numbers I posted above, in the 460 range.

Tug of war though will very much rely on GEARING and tires. Torque multiplication man, plus traction. You can definitely achieve that goal. I'm not trying to talk you out of going for it; by all means! Just know that as with anything you pay to play. I just rebuilt mine to factory specs with a banks turbo and would be thrilled with 240/450 at the crank (but I might never know), cause then when I redo my injection system maybe I could get close on that 500 mark. My power levels are probably below that though.

My disclaimer is this. In five years, tug of wars and power wars and lifted this and that will just seem stupid. The best way to show a cocky a-hole is to treat your truck well, put good parts on it as needed and upgrade as desired (turbo, injection system, etc), and watch it out work his truck. Easy since you say you want to tow a lot anyway. When he blows up/ breaks his and yours is still doing the job, you won. And he will know it, even though he likely won't admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
frist u need a fuel system http://idiperformance.com/ . They will have everything u need to upgrade the fuel system. Second u need air to burn all that extra fuel so a turbo upgrade will be needed and a intorcooler u might be able to find some GOOD used parts for cheaper like on ebay or craigs list. in a tug of war its all about traction no sher power

6.9idi_sam

Reaction score
what you need is pretty much an entire new engine.
new fuel system, new turbo, new exhaust...
pretty much upgrade everything.

i hope your pockets are deep!
if i were you, i would build my truck for myself, and not worry about what some cocky puke says or thinks.

dont chase someone elses dream, live yours.

Look no way you will see 500 with stock pump and a turbo...not happening...

Get off the PIPE dream, the boys here are in the KNOW...

You want that level of power you need to $$$$pend a decent amount of Coin to get there...

The banks thing is a piece of paper called marketing mantra and that's all.

Without an IC and a good solid pump and decent turbo setup and cam you likely won't see 500 so expect in the neighborhood of 3K of coin gone.

Go buy a power stroke and chip it if you want power cheap, these trucks take a fair bit of work but they do respond well to $$$ invested.

Good luck.

Much appreciated. I'll just probably get a turbo kit be happy with what I get out of it.

6.9idi_sam

Reaction score

if i were you, i would build my truck for myself, and not worry about what some cocky puke says or thinks.

For one, at your mileage, if your pump and injectors are original they are nearing their service life anyway. So start with them but also start saving for upgrades. I would anticipate making the numbers I posted above, in the 460 range.

Tug of war though will very much rely on GEARING and tires. Torque multiplication man, plus traction. You can definitely achieve that goal. I'm not trying to talk you out of going for it; by all means! Just know that as with anything you pay to play. I just rebuilt mine to factory specs with a banks turbo and would be thrilled with 240/450 at the crank (but I might never know), cause then when I redo my injection system maybe I could get close on that 500 mark. My power levels are probably below that though.

My disclaimer is this. In five years, tug of wars and power wars and lifted this and that will just seem stupid. The best way to show a cocky a-hole is to treat your truck well, put good parts on it as needed and upgrade as desired (turbo, injection system, etc), and watch it out work his truck. Easy since you say you want to tow a lot anyway. When he blows up/ breaks his and yours is still doing the job, you won. And he will know it, even though he likely won't admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pump and Injectors are all re done. I have re manufactured injectors and the pump was bough brand new so that's good. My trucks in a million times better shape then his. His transmission went out driving it home. My truck starts and runs better but also has been treated well it's whole life. My graduation present is getting it repainted and the small rust spots on the fenders fixed.

6.9idi_sam

Reaction score

Your truck will Never beat a Cummins. Your more than likely going to Break Stuff. I've never done a Tug. And I will never do one(I don't need to Out Pull someone to Feel big about Myself)
But Hey it's Your Truck/Money.

This. X2

It's just nice to shut someone up. But I suppose it must be a common attribute among cummins owners to think there trucks are the only ones worth buying. But I appreaciate your opinion on it.

paulzx

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMOWIcL0Ohg
just to show that you don't need copious amounts of power to outpull a cummins, just need a 'tank' of a truck and good gearing. those H1 probably would put out the same power as a turbo charged idi engine. just check out other pull contest with the Humvee.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want more power, install one of Mel's moose pumps of choice and moose misters along with a good rebuilt turbo of your choice. This will really wake up your engine without sacrificing reliability. And I recommend installing a pyrometer to monitor engine egt's.
Lots of members say they are going to build a 400 hp/ 600 ft. lbs torque idi engine and tell everyone that they are going to build one. But let me tell you something, it never happens. These engines were not designed for that kind of power nor will you reach those numbers without spending lots of $ that could have gone into something more important.
I don't understand why most cummins owners (minus farmers) act like this all the time. The "my truck has more power" etc. etc. etc. is comical. Who cares if it has more power. I too knew a few guys that acted this way. You don't need to do a tug of war contest. Parts tend to fail rapidly and then you end up walking home afterwards. Take care of your great grandfathers truck and keep it in the family.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin has just put on fb hiz new r n d turbo kit...could check with him too...he has pumps cams studs girdles turbos intakes all kinds of fun ways to make hp n tq

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin has just put on fb hiz new r n d turbo kit...could check with him too...he has pumps cams studs girdles turbos intakes all kinds of fun ways to make hp n tq

Another option but....good luck getting in touch with him in a timely manner. Customer service is big now days.

6.9idi_sam

Reaction score
If you want more power, install one of Mel's moose pumps of choice and moose misters along with a good rebuilt turbo of your choice. This will really wake up your engine without sacrificing reliability. And I recommend installing a pyrometer to monitor engine egt's.
Lots of members say they are going to build a 400 hp/ 600 ft. lbs torque idi engine and tell everyone that they are going to build one. But let me tell you something, it never happens. These engines were not designed for that kind of power nor will you reach those numbers without spending lots of $ that could have gone into something more important.
I don't understand why most cummins owners (minus farmers) act like this all the time. The "my truck has more power" etc. etc. etc. is comical. Who cares if it has more power. I too knew a few guys that acted this way. You don't need to do a tug of war contest. Parts tend to fail rapidly and then you end up walking home afterwards. Take care of your great grandfathers truck and keep it in the family.

Awesome I'll look into that. Yeah the truck means a lot to me it's not goin anywhere I try to take good care of it. And yeah I jus get annoyed with my friend but my trucks worked harder it's hole life and I know it's been treated better then his.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an example, the banks advertised gains of UP TO (best case scenario) would put you around 250/480 at the crank.

Correction: Banks advertised 250/550 flywheel (peak numbers) from the 1st Gen kit. I posted that '87 ad several times here. As with most ads, that is probably a bit optimistic... or optimized... but still a "best possible" number. We've seen some of the member's trucks on the board throw down 210 hp on the dyno (roughly 260-270 hp flywheel) but a low rpm torque number on a chassis dyno is difficult to get (especially on the typical inertia dyno) and interpret. BUT and engine making that much power will likely break the 500 lbs-ft barrier (flywheel) based on what I have seen. IMO, a tight engine/injection pump, with anyones turbo kit (assuming it's not a shade tree hack-job kit) can do 250/500 peak number if the pump is cranked up. That's well within the engine's structural capability and does not impact reliability (much). With the right gear, 300 reliable HP, maybe 550-600 lbs-ft, is possible but that gets to be an expensive build. 400/600+ is pretty much a wet dream for most of us. Doable at large cost and with no reliability left to use your truck as anything but a toy. AN THEN, you will still get waxed by just about everything who just installed a chip to get the same number of level 2. Best to stick with what is achievable within reason and be able to use the truck as a truck. A fresh engine, good turbo kit with an exhaust, head studs, one of Mel's magnificent pumps and a set of injectors...have fun!

Last edited:

6.9idi_sam

Reaction score
Awesome I appreciate it! Good to know 500 is a do able thing with out costing a arm and a leg! I think for now I'll just throw a turbo kit and see what I get to. My pumps turned up 1/2 turn. If I don't quite make 500 then ill start doing a new pump and what not. Is there a better head gasket you know of or should I use a oem one?