Turboing a 6.9

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
It's just nice to shut someone up. But I suppose it must be a common attribute among cummins owners to think there trucks are the only ones worth buying. But I appreaciate your opinion on it.

Yeah Most Dodge owners are Like that. Mostly the Younger ones. Any idea on what Turbo Kit Ya want?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction: Banks advertised 250/550 flywheel (peak numbers) from the 1st Gen kit. I posted that '87 ad several times here. As with most ads, that is probably a bit optimistic... or optimized... but still a "best possible" number. We've seen some of the member's trucks on the board throw down 210 hp on the dyno (roughly 260-270 hp flywheel) but a low rpm torque number on a chassis dyno is difficult to get (especially on the typical inertia dyno) and interpret. BUT and engine making that much power will likely break the 500 lbs-ft barrier (flywheel) based on what I have seen. IMO, a tight engine/injection pump, with anyones turbo kit (assuming it's not a shade tree hack-job kit) can do 250/500 peak number if the pump is cranked up. That's well within the engine's structural capability and does not impact reliability (much). With the right gear, 300 reliable HP, maybe 550-600 lbs-ft, is possible but that gets to be an expensive build. 400/600+ is pretty much a wet dream for most of us. Doable at large cost and with no reliability left to use your truck as anything but a toy. AN THEN, you will still get waxed by just about everything who just installed a chip to get the same number of level 2. Best to stick with what is achievable within reason and be able to use the truck as a truck. A fresh engine, good turbo kit with an exhaust, head studs, one of Mel's magnificent pumps and a set of injectors...have fun!

You must be registered for see images attach

Both correct, because I've seen your posts too. We are just using different iterations of turbo kits and different banks advertisements for our numbers. This is their current offering. The dyno numbers seem to be a mix, I bet largely fuel system related.

My personal ideal would be 525 as that's what I remember seeing 7.3 powerstrokes at in the 2000s. Kinda just a 'see, it can do it too' for me though haha. Probably should have done a cam. But I may never know

To the OP, good to see you can get to real good reliable power numbers, right? Yeah the cummins make power easy but you have to do the work and pay the money. Someone who hasn't done that (like the guy you speak of)... Well, you get it. I can't wait to see pictures and see progress as you work on it. That's the type of family vehicle you could have for a long time. Personally I still daily drive my grandfather's car ten years after he passed on. Just wish time and use didn't wear on it
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
attachment.php
attachment.php

This pics don't work. When posting Pics Go Advanced. Here's a Tutorial.

https://www.oilburners.net/forums/s...on-how-to-post-pictures-uploaded-to-the-forum

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember Banks quotes......are just like gas mileage from car manufacturers....UP TO *** hp and *** tq...the key is UP TO....that does not mean it must make that level or near that level....

Just sayin...don't kid yourself with UPTO claims and think you'll get it..you MAY or MAY NOT....

JM2CW

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Without an IC and a good solid pump and decent turbo setup and cam you likely won't see 500 so expect in the neighborhood of 3K of coin gone.

This is hte first I've seen anyone here state any numbers on what it takes to make "real truck" power levels. My 460 truck is around 400 HP and 500 ft/lbs as Desktop Dyno says. I would like my IDI to be ion that ballpark and $3k is not a big deal to spend to have a truck that tows nice as my 460 does. What turbo is required to get in that ballpark? I assume full moose pump? Any minimum size on intercooler? I know space is limited on the earlier trucks like mine.

What I have into my truck plus another $3k really isn't a big deal. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying new and results in a much nicer truck overall. Just need to know the build to do for when the time comes.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is hte first I've seen anyone here state any numbers on what it takes to make "real truck" power levels. My 460 truck is around 400 HP and 500 ft/lbs as Desktop Dyno says. I would like my IDI to be ion that ballpark and $3k is not a big deal to spend to have a truck that tows nice as my 460 does. What turbo is required to get in that ballpark? I assume full moose pump? Any minimum size on intercooler? I know space is limited on the earlier trucks like mine.

What I have into my truck plus another $3k really isn't a big deal. Heck of a lot cheaper than buying new and results in a much nicer truck overall. Just need to know the build to do for when the time comes.
Contact Mel aka Agnem of Conestoga diesel about a turbo kit and IP, toss a cam in from Russ AKA typ4 here and he does Turbos too, or go to R n D IDI performance and get a cam a pump and IP....

May take more may take less...but real world hp with repeatable numbers not just mantra from a advertising agent...UP TO *****...it takes real world $$$

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin