Turbo Project

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I am laid off I decided to go ahead and install the turbo on my truck
I had this thing laying around for over 2 years, this is a factory turbo, there were a few things missing. This is not a Bank, Hypermax or ATS kit but a factory turboed 94 idi.

Rather than put my truck down for this project I am useing a pair of heads with the exhaust manifolds, valve covers and intake manifold off a 6.9 bolted together. This has made this sooo much easier as I can see what needs to be done.

I have most of it ready to put on and with a little luck I will have it ready to put on by the end of the week. One thing I can't figure out is why I need to move the glow plug controller. As the turbo outlet is over near the up pipe and the controller will be about 4 inches from the turbo outlet I don't see the need. If someone has a picture please send me a pic or post it here.

All I need to do yet before I start the install is to get a oil feed line made, finish the air intake and fad up a short exhaust down pipe. I am going to get the rest of what I need to finish it today.

I still have to work on the valve cover for the CDR. Do I need to put something under where the CDR goes to keep oil from going up thru the CDR? I don't want to use a road draft tube as I don't want the smoke under the truck. As I am useing a cold air intake I am plumbing the CDR into it.

I will be posting pic's later.

Jim

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil drain pipe goes in place of the CDR and GP controler. You will need to put a baffle in the VC to reduce oil consumption. Search for threads about "valve cover gaskets" I have a pic posted of the inside of my VC, you can see what the baffle looks like.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jim-
my gpc is in the nonturbo mounting position and has been happily baking away since 2004:D I'm also running the ATS aftermarket elbow and DP too.
I can check on my spare ATS kit later on today when I get home and see if the valve cover has a baffle or not.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting closer, instead of using the CDR that was on the truck I happen to see a CDR off a 6.2L and it will make a cleaner setup, will have it tomorrow, need to fab a bracket and some fittings. Need to know if I need to put a baffle in the valve cove for the CDR

Got my oil feed line made and have my down pipe about ready. Am waiting for the turbo inlet flange gasket, been on order since last Wednesday, suppose to be in Thursday.

Have the air intake almost done, need the CDR to finish it up, just waiting on a reducer 2.75" to 3", putting a cone filter on.

As soon as I have every thing together I will install it and see how much difference it makes.

Jim

Attachments

• 6.2L CDR.jpg
    6.2L CDR.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting closer, instead of using the CDR that was on the truck I happen to see a CDR off a 6.2L and it will make a cleaner setup, will have it tomorrow, need to fab a bracket and some fittings. Need to know if I need to put a baffle in the valve cove for the CDR

Got my oil feed line made and have my down pipe about ready. Am waiting for the turbo inlet flange gasket, been on order since last Wednesday, suppose to be in Thursday.

Have the air intake almost done, need the CDR to finish it up, just waiting on a reducer 2.75" to 3", putting a cone filter on.

As soon as I have every thing together I will install it and see how much difference it makes.

Jim

That's a neat find Jim! Looks just like ours, but with mounting ears in a differnent spot. ;Sweet

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the real bonus is that it has barbs for the in and out, you don't need to fab the face mount setup for the stock one!
JwS

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I orderd a CDR like the picture from NAPA yesterday and it came in this morning. Just like the picture BUT with out the mounting tabs, HHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm. The one in the picture was on E-Bay and now I can't find it, oh well, JB Weld.

As for the CDR I have an oil filler off a early 6.9 and that is what I am going to use for the where it draws, just a little work and it will just bolt below my oil filler.

Jim

Last edited:

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to see your intake set up for sure.
As soon as I get done doing so more mods to it I will take some pictures. I discovered I had to do some modifying to it as I forgot to allow for the fuel filter bracket but just a small set back.

Jim

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I run a RDT. The problem I see is that with a turbo there is more vacuum after the filter(my filterminder is always at 10" or more with a new filter) the cdr closes and then what happens to crackcase pressure? With no outlet it sees bad to me...

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a RDT. The problem I see is that with a turbo there is more vacuum after the filter(my filterminder is always at 10" or more with a new filter) the cdr closes and then what happens to crackcase pressure? With no outlet it sees bad to me...

The factory, Banks, Hypermax and ATS all run a CDR. The CDR I bought was for A 6.3 GM and they had turbo's. I gould run a road draft tube but I don't like the smoke under my truck.

Jim

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I am trying to run mine through a filter that will drain back to the crankcase. So far it eliminates 99% of that smoke. A lot of Cats at work have a filter setup like that. I just don't like that there is no fresh air in to our crankcases. If the CDR closes the pressure will get higher and higher till something blows. I know I have a lot of blowby too, prolly more than most.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried running the RDT but I hate dumping all that mist right into the air, and like breathing it in even less. A RDT with some sort of filter would be ideal but from what I hear people who've tried running things like the racor CCV and such have had a ton of backpressure and soon enough oil leaks all over everywhere. That's the holy grail however and when someone perfects it that's what I'll be doing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin