turbo problems??

ljlaramie

Reaction score
Hello,

Just purchased a 2000 F250 a few weeks ago with 95,000 miles. The other day I noticed oil on my garage floor (not a lot), while changing out the brakes we noticed it looked as though the oil was coming from the inner cooler. I pulled the air cleaner and it is dirty and does have bugs between the folds. I have no lack of power in fact the truck runs great. A friend thinks my turbo is bad - I'm thinking it may be the PCV valve ... any advise would be helpful! How do I find and check the PCV valve?

Thanks!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, oil in the intercooler is most likely from the CCV (crank case ventilation). Its located on the left valve cover and is routed to the suction side of the turbo. Hence any oil vapors sucked out of the valve cover will end up in the inter cooler.

Welcome to OB and welcome to the world of PSD's!.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the CCV, a lot of guys re-route the CCV into the exhaust to keep from oiling up the intercooler. After doing that they remove the intercooler and flush it with a detergent and dry/reinstall it.

ljlaramie

Reaction score
So, basically I just need to clean the intercooler? This is all so new to me.Thanks!

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
! How do I find and check the PCV valve?

Thanks!
doesn't have one.
a diesel has no intake manifold vacuum, so a PCV will not work.

all they do is suck crankcase vapors into the turbo where they're compressed and fed through the intercooler.. hence, the oil.

either clean the intercooler out and do the CCV mod, or just clean the intercooler out every now and then.

ljlaramie

Reaction score
Thanks all, think I will clean out the intercooler and see if that resolves the problwm, just thankful it's not the turbo!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just think... all that oil was whacked into your intercooler by the blades of your turbo. Hmmmm..... I'm looking to do a road draft tube myself, but haven't spent the time trying to find a good fitting or a place to connect it to.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just think... all that oil was whacked into your intercooler by the blades of your turbo. Hmmmm..... I'm looking to do a road draft tube myself, but haven't spent the time trying to find a good fitting or a place to connect it to.

Best place is 45° angle into the exhaust after the cat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess what I mean is where to vent it from the motor. I always leave my RDT's open ended. I'm not a fan of valve cover RDT's. To much oil sling from the rocker arms. On the IDI's the front of the IP gear is the best spot, and even though the PSD has that same spot to mount an adapter, the water pump is in the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online