Turbo Option Opinions

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
No, no waste gate, unless I had a boost leak somewhere. I feel like there should have been more boost, but maybe not. Afterall, they are low-output turbos.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HX35 is a pretty sweet setup. I'm running the 8 blade compressor style with the stock Cummins WG - right around 20 psi. Spools fast and seems to perform well. I've got a build thread on here somewhere and another one on the HX35 titled something like 'HX35 info'. It's got some serious turbo whine, that's for sure... you know when it's working!

I also decked the pistons 0.015 and have them ceramic coated - wouldn't push that kind of boost without doing that. EGTs stay around 1000 pre turbo, and I've had no real issues with it. ~20k miles so far on her. Haven't been on a dyno to get any real numbers, but I can pull 15-16k GCW up most hills at 55-60.

The turbo is definitely MHI - no Garrett tags anywhere.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decking is removing material from the top of the pistons - this lowers the CR and also gives a bit more valve clearance for cam changes. The 0.15" decking lowers the CR from 21.5 to about 20:1. The ceramic coating helps heating - it acts as an insulation layer on the top of the piston to help piston heating. The company also did a moly coating on the skirts which should help prevent scuffing if they do start getting hot.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Hm....., Kinda want my pistons like that haha. I am overhalling my engine, just started.... Looking for good sleeves that will match rings, and a excellent head gasket haha.