Turbo Option Opinions

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Hey, so with all this turbo talk..... Any of you with turbos on your IDI's have blow by issues? Just curious. I would imagine if you keep the boost under 12 there really shouldnt be an issue.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Anyone know just about how much more torque I will get out of the Hypermax kit? Cause Banks claims their Side Winder kit gets up to 143 more FT LBS of torque, can I expect the same from the hypermax kit?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vastly prefer the Hypermax products, which is why I chose to carry their line. Banks has never impressed me with their support, and they have not been loyal to the IDI crowd as they continue to move on to newer and better products. Hypermax focuses on Ford only, and is much better to work with. Not only that, but a Hypermax turbo is a much easier to service system all the way around. I'm also rebuilding and refurbishing ATS systems as I can get my hands on them.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, from what I have gathered from everyone it sounds like Hypermax is the way to go. I just hope my engine excepts the turbo. It should, only has 100K on her, but she ran 100K with a C6 behind her :( she has no leaks and strong compression... She should be alright, I am pretty gentle on the fun pedal anyways.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks has never impressed me with their support, and they have not been loyal to the IDI crowd as they continue to move on to newer and better products.

my personal experience with banks has been exactly 180 degrees from yours.

Yeah, from what I have gathered from everyone it sounds like Hypermax is the way to go.

not everyone.
i can't recommend them because i have no first hand experience do to so.not because iv anything against them.

Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
not everyone.
i can't recommend them because i have no first hand experience do to so.not because iv anything against them.

I didn't mean everyone, that's my bad.... When my dad had his 89 it had a banks kit on there and it was was awesome, till his NR 8 cylinder cracked :( but he did A LOT of heavy pulling (roofing debries/supplies) and I don't think he had a pyro or boost gauge. All the turbo kits for the IDI have their pro's and con's but the only real difference is the availability of repair parts.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Great thread guys!!! ive been digging for some answer on the hypermax kits as i have one on its way in a few days.

Turning attention to the rebuild issues of the banks TE06H:

As i understood.... the te06h is a MHI turbocharger

WEEEELLLLLLLLLL......when i called banks a few days ago to wait on hold for 20 minutes jsut to be told they wont sell me the part unless im sending them the entire turbo to rebuild (they have that tied in a nice fxcking little bow huh)

i was informed by customer service that GARRET IS THE MANUFACTURE OF THEIR BANKS SIDE WINDER TE06H

this tells me garret made them for MHI as well

maybe customer service was wrong or full of ****? idk but im still digging for parts and garret has yet to get back to me

garret has no contact phone number......***?

Im in need of a TE06H compressor wheel + turbine wheel and shaft assembly + rebuild kit

any help would be appreciated

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I've ever seen has it being an MHI turbo. The one I have has an MHI tag on it, and the numbering fits the MHI series of models. Now, it's certainly not impossible for Garrett to have built it somehow, but I'd be surprised. Given the relative age of the idi stuff, likely much larger volume of newer parts and the very specific nature of the question, I'd same it's more likely that someone at Banks got confused.

That being said, I have no idea where to get parts. Russ (Typ4) may. However, I have a low mileage (~50k) new TE06H that would be a good source for a replacement CHRA. I bought it 'new' off ebay and my suspicion is that it was a QA reject off the line as it wasn't complete and I think has the wrong exhaust housing - the original housing had a wastegate seat that was larger than the wastegate (fixed with an insert) and it seemed to spool slowly and not reach as high of boost as one would expect. Given that, I think what happened is someone put the wrong exhaust housing parts on it, but the center section should still be usable. I don't have a use for it anymore since I have the HX35 in there, but it'd be good for someone with the correct exhaust housing as a CHRA swap. PM me if you're interested.
~John

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
:hail pm'ed you about the turbo.

i have to go little off topic here.......

u have a hx35 on your 6.9????!!!!!!! cookoo can you tell me a little about the setup? i have a hy35 on my 2.0 eclipse/talon. its actualy off it right now as i had to tear her down. the hx does even more boost than the hy....... your obveously not pushing 35lbs boost riiiight? hows your spool with such a large turbo? feel free to pm me about this.

back on topic sorry

i believe it to be the same turbo at MHI but heres the kicker if banks CS is correct its obvious that garret made the turbo for both companys labeling the compressors' how the company's wanted.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, I loved the hypermax turbo kit the 500 miles I got out of it! Then engine decided it was done, my worst fears came true haha! Shoulda set-up the engine for a turbo from the start! It's okay, by time I am done with this engine, I will be able to run 30 PSI of boost no problem haha!

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, I am not 100% sure yet but its most likely a failed head gasket, or.... The owrst case senerio is that cavitation got through the bore. I will hopefully know here soon, have the engine ready to pull out, just need to pull it out and tear her down!

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
sorry to hear that but if its head gaskets thats no big deal

what kinda boost did you see over 10 psi maybe 15psi?

Thanks

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
No haha! The most I saw was up HWY 18 over tiger summit, I wanna say it's a 6.5% - 7.5% grade, semi's loaded down do about 25 with their flashers on. i was doin 55 - 60 in 5th gear, haze of smoke out the tailpipe, I was only at 6 PSI of boost and 1150 on the EGT...... I had no trailer either, just the truck. I may need to turn the fuel down half a flat but it seemd okay where it was at.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
so you only saw 6psi with a load on in top gear huh? does your kit have a wastegate?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online