Turbo Is On

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had thought of everything before I stared this install, factory turbo off a 94 IDI, well I didn't but just a couple of minor things. Had hope to get it done in a couple of hours, boy was I wrong, 9 hours later I took it for a spin. Sure made ole truck sound different and has some more balls coming up a big hill, was able to come up in 3rd gear instead of 2nd :love:.

I wasn't able to hook up my CDR, had to leave the oil filler cap off for now, as my air intake tube had to be moved a little as the steel fuel line from the filter to the injector pump was in the way. It was at a different angle than I thought and I was thinking that since it just supply's fuel to the IP that I could cut it so I can put a rubber line so as to reroute it? I don't see a problem.

My oil feed to the turbo dealt me a little fit also as it is to close to the drivers divers side crossover pipe. Took some plumbing but got that done after about an hour and a half of cussing, just no room to work as cab is so close. Even with the crossover pipe off it still was a *****.

Then just trying to get the turbo on was a task as it sets so close to the fire wall and trying to lay over the hood latch and work the turbo in was not a fun job. Took me 3 attempts to get it right and not screw up the oil drain gasket.

My down pipe was some what of a problem also. As the stock Y pipe is a 2 1/4 inch pipe and the turbo outlet is 2 1/2 inch, I got a beveled flange, 2 1/2 inch, about 6" long and had it on the turbo when I installed it. The down pipe is Flex pipe that I got at Advance Auto, 6 ft long and was able to feed it up to the flange on the turbo. My pipe back to the rear of my truck is 2 1/2 inch so that worked good. The flex pipe is a temp fix until I can get to a muffler shop and get one made up. The room up there is so tight even with flex it took me about a half hour just to get it right.

Well that is some of it, need to hook up pryo yet and get a boost gauge. But I do like the difference it has made, I still need to turn up the fuel some, maybe a couple of flats but not until I get the pryo back on and a boost gauge. When all is finished I will post some pictures.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, I've had rubber fuel line going right to the IP on the Moosestang since I built it. No problems to report. Congrats on the install!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Congrats Jim, Welcome to the Turbo Side. It is a big job no matter what you have to work with. It seem to take more time to just remove my turbo than the motor itself!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
WHOO HOO! Forced Fed is great isn't it. I know when I did the E she was a different truck from that day forward.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
don't worry about the cdr.

I had cut a 3/4inch hole and welded a 3/4inch elbow to the metal plate on the timing gear... ya know the one with the ip bolts behind it. run a 3/4inch tube to wherever you want it (mine is to the cdr just pre turbo at the moment).

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, been a long drawnn out proscess as I have had the turbo for about 2 years. AS IT IS 10* RIGHT NOW i AM JUST CHILLING OUT, will finish up later today before the snow hits tonight.

Jim

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
congrats, i will be going through this someday. nice to read up on some of the trouble ahead of time

tractorman86

Reaction score
so now that you have it all mocked up and fitted togather you are going to take it off and sell it to me real cheep right!;Really LOL sounds pretty sweet, so when will the pics be up? i'm looking for ideas

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so now that you have it all mocked up and fitted together you are going to take it off and sell it to me real cheep right!;Really LOL sounds pretty sweet, so when will the pics be up? I'm looking for ideas

I'm not completely done, I did get the cdr thingy done but still need to turn up the fuel, not blowing any smoke when I flat foot it. Love the way it sounds with the straight pipe, a deep rumble, I'm thinking just to leave it that way. Before it would crackle at higher rpm's now just a mellow rumble:thumbsup: .
Need to get pryo installed and get a boost gauge. I am having a hard time keeping my foot out of it. As soon as I get all complete I'll take some pictures, but please don't laugh at some of my engineering, it works.

Not be taking it off right away I hope:love:

Jim

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
WTG Jim!:thumbsup: straight pipe is the only way to go with and IDI turbo. Backyard engineering is a art all it's own. :hail Welcome to the "Forced side" (now turn up that screw!);Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah man way to go ;Sweet . You will be way happier once you turn your pump up, as some have said before, you will have a perma-grin for the next couple of weeks :D .

Expect fuel economy to go down though :eek: ;Really

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get the pyro before you turn up the fuel. I sort of doubt you'll have enough boost to hurt it with a stock pump and keeping an eye on the pyrometer, below 1000-1100 for sustained operation or 1250 for a short blip on the safe side. Still a boost gauge is nice so you know what you have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin