Turbo, injector pump, or what??

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '06, F350, with a 6.0 is acting up - again. Four times over the past two days, the truck has had no acceleration. From a stop, I give it some throttle and it just rumbles, belching out black smoke. It wants to run, but there's no power. I let off and then back into it and the turbo winds up and it responds like normal. Any ideas what might be the problem.

Doc
2006, F350, 6.0L, Crew, 4x4, 132K miles

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
EGR Valve Clogged? Blow a boot off the IC or Tubes? Veins stuck / rusted in the turbo? What are your driving habits with this truck? Any other symptoms? Mods to the truck? How many miles on the oil, oil filter and fuel filter? Brand of said filters?

Sorry for all the questions. but trying to get a baseline on what we are working with.

Also, the 6.0 does not have an IP like you are used to on the IDI. The injectors are fired with high pressure engine oil. You have a HPOP High Pressure Oil Pump that supplies at least 400psi to pop the injectors to start, and up tp 4000psi on a hard, full load accel. The lift pump on the frame rail (it is part of the HFCM Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module) supply fuel to fill the injectors at a minimum of 45 psi.... the atomization is created by the oil pushing on the intensifier piston, rather that the fuel on a pintle.... and the fuel spray into the cylinders is at 20,000 PSI IIRK instead of the 18-1900 psi of an IDI.

Take a look at the Diesel Technical Society website, and at the 6.0 Liter Bible it is a good resource, and I have read it several times. There are books on all the Ford Diesels on that first link. These books are the introduction and information books that are provided to the dealership tech when a new engine is released.

Last edited: