Tuning, Turning, Tweeking the IDI 7.3

Black dawg

Reaction score
the only reason I keep coming back to this thread is to look at fordsandguns avatar.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil change ain't gonna make white exhaust bud... Are you asking for help or just talking to yourself?

******* injectors means time for new injectors, messing with the IP wont fix anything.

Its already been explained better than I feel like going over again. Sorry if I sound like an ass I haven't been able to sleep due to work :mad:

wmoguy

Reaction score
LOL I'll defend Boston (a little) they say the air is thin up here, and we are all a little slower cuz of it. In Boston's case, living in Boulder for 20 years he's got a double hit lacking (breathable/non hippie pot filled) air. :rotflmao

sootman73

Reaction score
Well I wish someone would have explained diesel basics to Boston. Get the whole rich/lean theory out of your head. Gasoline basics do not apply here. There is no perfect air fuel ratio that gives you best power. If you over fuel it it will not die or lose power just not complete the burn. Unlike in a gas engine if you are "rich" it will lose a significant amount of power. Gas engines run on the air supplied to them. Air is what is controlled in a gas motor(ie opening barrels of a carb to allow more air in) diesels are only controlled by fuel. The amount of air is never restricted.

There is overfueled and underfuled in a diesel. Never rich or lean. when talking about a diesel motor you cannot use rich or lean terms as you will confuse yourself about what is causing certain symptoms.

You need to have a firm grasp on diesel basics before you can even start to think about tuning a diesel engine. Gas engines and diesel engines are very different in alot more aspects than you think. Learn diesel basics and stop chasing your own tail.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke tells alot. If it's grey and sweet your head blew. If it smells like diesel it's injectors or timing. Black is either too much fuel (IP screw) or severly stuffed intake, blue is rings/blowby.

If the injectors are bad then they won't pop off- the fuel just dribbles out with much less pressure and you won't have good performance. Sounds like you've already turned the IP all about ( and played with the fuel screw which won't help you at all in this case). New reman injectors aren't bad and with some care you might be able to find some brand new BB injectors online and also get a nice return line kit from user 'Typ4'. It'll be about two bills going brand new injectors, good remans are great too and will save some cash

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
there is a big difference between black smoke and white unburnt fuel smoke. Black smoke is overfueling for the amount of oxygen present. Very easily caused by excessive fuel rate (fuel screw). White smoke is actually unburned fuel making it into the exhaust because of lack of heat to produce complete combustion. Retarded timing, pissy injectors and poor compression can all cause this.

Turning down the fuel screw to cure a white smoke problem makes zero sense. You can hear in the last video that the slightly lopey idle had gone away, and now you had a touch of black smoke. They usually get that funny uneven idle when the advance piston is screwing up. I am going to bet the advance problem cured itself, and the white smoke problem. I have turned an n/a pump down 2 flats before, and it was almost undriveable it was so gutless. What engine was this pump calibrated for?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good attempted save argve :eek:

Not sure who he thinks has been insulting him. I just re-read all five pages of this crap. Unless I can't read for ****, everyones been giving him advice.

is this what you meant by white smoke? My truck hazes similar to that and its because the rings dont seal, if oil change helped clean it up then your engine is tired
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/bostonpyramidbuilder/?action=view&current=DSCN0256.mp4

THIS is too much fuel/not enough air:::::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilNy3seqkmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zgMMMkRP8&feature=related

THIS is unburnt fuel - not too much, not too little. Just cold/unburnt. Its not because of too much fuel or too little air. That would be the black stuff up top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjN6so3HFi8&feature=related

Unburnt does not equal too much

Ever hear of injector ticking?

dieselmann's InDirect Injected Diesel Page said:
White smoke:
Caused by unburned fuel passing through the engine. Some white smoke is normal on cold start-ups.
Excessive white smoke could be an indication of inoperative glow plugs, loose injectors, low compression from worn rings or bent connecting rods, or coolant leak into the cylinders.

Black smoke:
Caused by excessive fuel for the amount of air drawn into the cylinders. Some black smoke on hard accel or at higher altitudes is normal.
Excessive black smoke could result from restricted intake or exhaust, inoperative leaking or weak turbo (if equiped), intake manifold gasket leaks (turbo), leaking or worn injectors, fuel return or supply restriction, advanced injecion pump timing or defective injection pump.

Blue or blue/white smoke:
Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods.
Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, thermostat stuck open, oil consumption, plugged crankcase depression regulator valve, retarded injection pump timing, or defective injection pump.

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi2.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online