trying to drain my fuel tank....

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems like one of my fuel gauges is not working - it stays on full, with the needle all the way to right. I am still not sure it is broken though because i did put too much fuel in when i first got it - i was pouring it in from a can and filled it almost to the fill neck by accident, and i have not put too many miles on it yet so maybe the tank is still full. But i want to pump the fuel out and use that tank for wvo but the problem is that the fill neck hose is pretty long and with bends in it so it is hard to get a small hose in there to pump the fuel out. Do these tanks have drain valves on them? my guess is no, but it is hard to tell because my truck has these steel protectors under the tank.
If i could drain the tank that would tell me for sure if the gauge or sender is bad. Any tricks to make this easier?
thanks,
paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to install an electric fuel pump, and while your doing the conversion, just run that output hose to your storage tank.

rubberfish

Reaction score
the problem is that the fill neck hose is pretty long and with bends in it so it is hard to get a small hose in there to pump the fuel out. Do these tanks have drain valves on them? my guess is no, but it is hard to tell because my truck has these steel protectors under the tank.
Hi there. are you not able to disconnect the filler
hose right from the tank, and pump from there?
Or is that area covered as well with a skid plate?

2manydsls

Reaction score
What Mel said. I remove the valve core from the shrader valve on the fuel filter housing, run a fuel line from there to the other tank or container, turn on the electric pump and let it run.
Ross

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
do yourself a favor, pull the bed.
alot easier in the long run than dropping a tank.
plus doing both of them at once is nice.

If youve never pulled the bed, the bolts from bed to frame are probably crap anyway.... 8, grade8 bolts and nuts, 16 washers and it's done.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

Your from the south. In the salt belt, your 8 bolts require a torch. Makes a simple job much harder.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i just had to pull and put those tanks back in a few months ago i have never seen such a pain in the ass before. by the end of the ordeal i was so pissed off. take the bed off.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
if you take the sending unit out and toss a lit match in the tank it will drain pretty quick.

Ray

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how heavy is the bed? what do you use to lift it? i do have an engine hoist but not sure if it goes high enough for the job.
for draining the tanks i am using the electric lift pump - but i may have to fix a sender on one of the tanks, so for that i will take the bed off.
thanks,
paul

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken quite a few tanks out...NP what so ever other than rusty bolts...

guess working at the wrecker helps patience alot eh? I would just disconnect the fill tube from the tank....then stick a siphon hose into the tank and voila yer golden man!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
mel, I had to torch my bolts.
after 18 years of living, these bed bolts were maybe 7/16th of an inch thick if that.
I torched mine out. Plus next time it's a breeze to take the bed off.

1 chain hoist, or cherry picker can lift it off easily. two ambitious men can do the same.
If your electric hoist can lift it 8 inches you can drive away from it :)

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wish that Ford had installed drained plugs. I have heard of some people cutting an access hole in the bed to get to the fuel pickup / sending unit . Then they install a bolt-on cover .

an example - http://www.wildsnow.com/?p=856

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online