TRUCK'S DEAD!!! HELP!!!

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Been working on my Cummins (1993 Dodge D-250, 5.9 Cummins, Auto, 304k miles) and it's quit on me.

Before it was cutting out while driving down the road under throttle. Started out it would die when you had it at full throttle, then it would die at half throttle finally it would die at anything over a quarter throttle. My alternator quit working for a day but then started working again today.

Here's what I've been doing to it if anything helps. Pulled alternator on Monday, took it to Autozone and had it tested. Worked fine. Today I changed the air filter and was going to change the fuel filter (they gave me the wrong one) so I left the old one in. ********* gave me a cartridge filter when mine is a spin on. When I pulled the filter it was full of fuel. Put it all back together and it started up just fine. I revved it up a few times and it would stall when I revved it and let off the gas suddenly. Took it out for a spin and it was running great. Went around the block and got within 50 yards of the driveway and it just DIED like someone pulled the plug.

Coasted into the driveway (of course with not enough speed to make the garage) noticed a trail of fuel drops coming up the driveway. Thought maybe I didn't screw the filter on hard enough and it fell off but it's still there. Wet but I'm not sure if it's from a leak or still wet from when I pulled it earlier. Ran the starter but nothing. Ran the manual lever on the lift pump, crank motor, nothing. Cracked lines at injectors, barely got wet after ten seconds of cranking. Retightened and did nothing. Checked trouble codes and got...

12: Couldn't find (11 closest is No Reference Signal During Cranking)
24: TPS Voltage High/ Low
33: A/C Clutch Relay Circuit
42: ASD Relay Control Circuit or No ASD Relay Voltage Sense at PCM
41: Generator Field Not Switching Properly
55: Couldn't Find (53 closest is Internal PCM failure)

I need help from all the smart Cummins guys out there.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
How What are the symptoms of a dying lift pump? When I try and cycle it with the lever it only engages at the very bottom of the stroke (less than a inch).

What are the odds my IP would fail suddenly? It's been leaking out a "weep" hole since I've had it.

Can I use a PCM out of a 1993 W-250 with a 5 sp.? If the PCM is bad. How do I test the PCM to see if it is bad.

Can I "hot" wire the shutdown solenoid to see if that's part of the problem?

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no problem with trying to hot wire the shutoff solenoid did it on my old F-350 and its worked fine so it should work fine on that Cummins. I dont know about the 12 Valves but the VP44 injection pumps on the 24 valves can go out at anytime especially if the lift pump goes out and they are deprived of good fuel pressure for too long. As far as your lift pump goes do you have a fuel pressure gauge installed? If so whats the PSI at idle and whats the PSI at WOT? Im not much on the old 12 valves so im not sure how much help ill be and it doesnt look like there is much help on here other wise lol. try www.cumminsforum.com lots of Cummins knowledge on there that could get you goin in a hurry.

-Jordan-

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
lol I ended up getting the truck running with some help from another forum I check into. Ended up being the shutoff solenoid wire shook loose and came disconnected. That's what killed it. She's back up and smokin' now. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7