Truck Won't Start!

Chappy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 1990 F250 7.3 IDI with 78K original miles on it. It has been a cold winter but haven't had any problems starting it. I let it sit over the weekend and will not start now. Turns over great but no smoke, and had 1/8th tank of fuel in it and it was sitting at an angle. Thought maybe no fuel was getting to pump so I filled it up half way and no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
Crack the lines loose a the injectors and see if there is fuel spray while cranking if you are concerned with possibly running out. If you have fuel there start checking the GP system, there have been cool summer nights here in michigan when my truck wont start without cycling the glow plugs

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
How cold is it there? Maybe you have some fuel gelled in the lines and filter. Did you have any additive in the fuel?

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
Yeah, I took that for granted, where im from all diesel fuel has additive otherwise nothing would run for about 6 months a year

Chappy

Reaction score
It got down to 17 F last night, but it has been down in the single digits and I haven't had any problems till now. I did not have any additive in the fuel system until just barely when I put a half tank in it with some heet

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sound like u arent getting any fuel, take the filter off and fill it up then crank her over with the lines cracked till u see fuel the titen them and see what happens, plug it in plug it in

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
On vary cold days here i have taken fuel filters off, emptied them and refilled with PSD 911, if you have a gellin problem that will help

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Also you can have a buddy push in the schrader valve on top of the fuel filter while you crank it over, it should spray out there. Once it sprays there, you can crack loose one of the injector lines and wait to see spray there. Once it reaches that point, it has probably tried to start on the lines that are still tight. Glow plugs should cycle for about 12-20 seconds on cold start. If cycle is short, test gp's with a test light. Pull harness and hit the tip with light. No light, bad gp. Plug block heater in for an hour. If truck starts, chances are 2 or more gp's are bad. Also check shut off solenoid for proper operation. Its in top of your injection pump and you should be able to put your hand on it and feel it engage when that same buddy turns your ignition switch on. Good luck, hope this helps. My truck loses its prime also when the front tank is on its last 50 miles or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7