Truck starts runs then stalls

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
my buddy has a 1997 12 valve in his truck and for some time now it has had a stalling problem. You can start the truck and run it up and down the street but for some strange reason every so often it will stall and just die on you. Has anyone else had this problem? and what do yall think it could be?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
what is the idle speed set to? The bolt that is used as a height adjustment stop for the throttle lever gets worn down over time and you don't notice that she idling low. Mine was worn so bad that the head was completely gone at one point and was nothing more than a nub sticking up.

You can't see it but it's on the back side of the engine bay mounted at the back of the injection pump - it's more of a feel thing than a seeing thing. takes a 10mm open end wrench to loosen the nut and bolt head. I found it was easier to adjust if I had someone else to help because they could hold the go pedal to the floor while I messed with it. You could use something to block the pedal down but when you own a 10 year old why not just use them was my thinking....

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
come to think of it the truck has seemed like shes idling low, it just doesnt have that rattle an knock like a cummins should

Don T

Reaction score
well I`ll add what happened to me with my 1995 Ram Diesel. It stopped as you said and it turned out to be a battery gone bad and drawing all the charge away from the fuel cut off. I replaced both batteries with gel cells and was good to go. just my .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online