TRUCK STALLED A FEW TIMES THIS MORNING

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
No, you will need to do something similar to the picture posted earlier in this thread, using the tubing kit to put the gauge in your cab instead of having it mounted under the hood. Home Depot or a local hardware store will have brass pipe fittings to help you adapt to what you need.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you will need to do something similar to the picture posted earlier in this thread, using the tubing kit to put the gauge in your cab instead of having it mounted under the hood. Home Depot or a local hardware store will have brass pipe fittings to help you adapt to what you need.

I may just buy that kit on ebay and go from there. i bypassed the water fuel separator filter on my lunch break, im gonna drive it for a few days like that, and see if it helps... on a side note, it might be my imagination, but my truck has seemed to be lacking power and SEEMS to be smoking alot more since this issue

gandalf

Reaction score
does that tube kit thread right into the scrader valve?

Go back to my posting #28 in this thread. The first go-around I mounted the pressure gauge where you see the schraeder valve. Then I realized that was wrong. That measures the fuel pressure coming into the filter, but won't tell you whether the filter itself is clogged. I moved it to the other port, which measures the pressure coming out of the filter. If you get a low reading you still have to decide the reason: plugged filter, weak lift pump, or whatever. I seem to recall that earlier filter heads may not have that second port, so that might be a problem.

My second mistake was going cheap on the gauge. I used a Mr Gasket gauge. It leaks and the glass fogged over. It's scheduled for replacement. Is the Speedway gauge kit any better? In another very recent thread a member stated that he used a Mr Gasket gauge and it literally blew itself apart, showering his engine compartment with fuel.:eek: Again, mine is scheduled for replacement.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go back to my posting #28 in this thread. The first go-around I mounted the pressure gauge where you see the schraeder valve. Then I realized that was wrong. That measures the fuel pressure coming into the filter, but won't tell you whether the filter itself is clogged. I moved it to the other port, which measures the pressure coming out of the filter. If you get a low reading you still have to decide the reason: plugged filter, weak lift pump, or whatever. I seem to recall that earlier filter heads may not have that second port, so that might be a problem.

My second mistake was going cheap on the gauge. I used a Mr Gasket gauge. It leaks and the glass fogged over. It's scheduled for replacement. Is the Speedway gauge kit any better? In another very recent thread a member stated that he used a Mr Gasket gauge and it literally blew itself apart, showering his engine compartment with fuel.:eek: Again, mine is scheduled for replacement.

no, mine doesnt have that second port

gandalf

Reaction score
A question about the Speedway gauge. It runs fuel into the cab, right? Is that safe/recommended, or is that just asking for trouble somewhere down the road?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ken.. I had a gauge on my filter that was oil filled. It finally broke but it worked great for many years. I paid $16.00 for a cheap replacement gauge.. It lasted about a month... The needle fell off from the engine resinations. So I will be looking for a high quality oil filled gauge. I'll post up what I find when I find one.. These days have me really busy getting out of unpleasant work around here. Thats a full time retirey job too..

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The mechanical gauges always present the issue of busting a capillary line inside the cab. My oil pressure gauge is this way as well. I haven't dug for an electric fuel gauge.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i bypassed the water separator filter and replaced the fuel filter on the truck and so far it hasn't stalled again, it is smoking alot less and seems to have the power back. now you may be wondering why i didn't just replace the filters first.... well, i was doing the cheapest repairs to the most expensive. replacing the fuel line next to the lift pump cost me nothing. but the filters are costing me around $20 total.

so if i don't have anymore problems, thanks for all of your help. i truly would be lost without the great people in this forum.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a side note, i would still like to know how to install a fuel pressure gauge on to this

You must be registered for see images attach

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
unscrew the schrader valve and see if it is npt, if it is then you coul simply put a nipple and t and have the schrader on one side and the line to the gauge on the other