truck shut off need help

aaklingler

Reaction score
My 96 just shut off cruising down the road with no warning. The ABS light has been on for the past couple weeks on and off. I checked the codes, had a cps code and a icp code. I put a new cps and 2 different icps in and nothing, I even tried it with the icp unhooked. Then I found a burnt injector harness, it is burnt out side the valvecover in the main harness. How do you get this connector apart and are there parts available to fix it? It still wouldn't start with that plug unplugged and the gp wire pulled out of the plug, any ideas on what else might be going on?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If your injector harness is burnt, then the affected injectors aren't receiving a signal to fire. I'd start by fixing that first and see where you are then. I'm having a similar problem to fix with my truck.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I now have found 2 burnt harnesses, is that just a coincidence or is there something else going on?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Same side or opposites? I know that OBS's have a tendency to burn out injector harnesses when they get higher mileage and useage... Might want to consider upgrading it to the Super Duty style harness to help avoid it in the future.

aaklingler

Reaction score
same side, what all is involved changing it to the superduty setup? Don't the superdutys have trouble with burning the harness? Where does this problem start at, in the external plug or where? What happens if you put a cam sensor in from the wrong year?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a write up for the SD harness, but you just have to splice it in wire by wire so you get everything right. The OBS's are the ones worse for burning harnesses that I know of. You'll have to change your valve cover gaskets as well though. The problem is with the external plug through the gaskets I think.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...ty=1&Dn=0&D=valve+cover+harness&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0

Yes, you can convert the double connector to a single connector. The gasket is part of the harness as you can see . NAPA stocks them, IIRC for $57. Ebay may be cheaper if you can wait, most all auto parts stores carry them. You have to get the pigtail to splice in the single connector. Plenty of write ups on here, just search, UVCH harness.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 96 just shut off cruising down the road with no warning. I checked the codes, had a cps code and a icp code. I put a new cps and 2 different icps in and nothing, I even tried it with the icp unhooked.

aaklingler - you said: "I checked codes." I just got an Auto Enginuity OBD II scanner, supposed to be top of the line and I can pull no codes from my 97 even with the Check Engine light on. Then I read on page 14 of the user guide: "Ford '96 - '97 Powerstrokes use the Non-OBD-II Only option because these vehicles have no OBD-II support at all." It appears these trucks exceeded the weight limit that were required to support OBD-II. I carefully followed all the Auto Enginuity instructions to pull the non-OBD-II codes from my truck, and never pulled one code even with the Pedal Position Sensor disconnected, which I know throws a code.

So, what scanner do you use to pull codes? Any tricks? Any particular reasons why mine won't pull a single code? As it is I have a $370 tool that does nothing for me. Ouch!

aaklingler

Reaction score
I think I have all my connections fixed up, but it still doesn't make any attempt at starting? How much fuel pressure should I have at the schrader valve and how long should it take to make it? Is there a volume test from there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel