Truck repair progress...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Gunna start a thread for what i am doing. First ill start with the painted new rear tank, skid plates and frame. Paint was Rustolem oil based enamal applied with a simple paint brush. Prep was wire wheel, wire brush and a rub down with acetone.

Frame before:
You must be registered for see images attach

Frame after (inside):

(outside)

Fuel tank:

Skid plates:

Rear shackle and hangers:

Looked innocent enough...:

Then i opened it up and the wiring mess i need to repair:

i have to upload more pics, my computer is being a PITA right now so bear with me.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good whats the point of oil based?does it fight rust better than standard paint?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good whats the point of oil based?does it fight rust better than standard paint?

When you get into brush-on paints you got a choice of water-based or oil-based - way I understand it is water-based works better on wood, and oil-based works better on metal.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! I just found something else to fix on my own POS, darn trucks will drive us nutsI tell ya! lol

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Tell me about it. After finding my parking brake cable was frozen in the sleeve i noticed a hub seal was leaking and ruined my pass side brake shoes...then while taking the hubs off i cracked a wheel cylinder. At that point i just broke down and decided to re-do the whole rear brake system again.

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. After finding my parking brake cable was frozen in the sleeve i noticed a hub seal was leaking and ruined my pass side brake shoes...then while taking the hubs off i cracked a wheel cylinder. At that point i just broke down and decided to re-do the whole rear brake system again.

i think that may be why my parking brake light comes on from time to time :dunno

ive noticed my truck doesnt really like to coast easy... ill get on it for a sec to get my speed up but it feels as if my foots on the brake pedal just a hair even though its not. maybe my parking brake cable is froze as well?

good thing i caught this thread if it is. that lights starting to **** me off :backoff

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zacky, if your parking brake light only comes on intermittently without you having stepped on its pedal, that's likely cause by the electric switch that rides on said pedal. Mine did that once, took the switch off and cleaned it, also tightened the brake cable to make sure the pedal does go all the way up, all has been great ever since.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
looks nice, i did the same on my truck, trouble is its bubbling back out after a year. i did mine while changing out the mid tank. i think i might have to pull the bed and get in there with my angle grinder and some navel jelly to really attack the rust.

i used oil paint from tractor supply, not sure if it was rustoleum or not but i think it was......better luck to you really digging out that rust beforehand seems to be the key.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You should pull your bed. Then you can work in a mer comfortable position, unless you do you best work on your back:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online