Truck problem

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I got a buddy that has a Ram with a 24V Cumapart.Not sure if it is a 2nd or 3rd genny but I know it is the generation where they "fixed" the problem with the IP frying from a failed lift pump.Anyway,He had a lift pump go bye bye(well acted like.Would crank,run a second stumble and die,then you would crank and crank and crank and nothing.Turn key off and back on would crank run and die.Could hold foot down while cranking and would stumble but keep running then smooth out.Romp on throttle it would fall on it's face then rev.).Replaced lifty with an after market(I think Airdog).Still has the hesitation and will up and die going down the road.This is an auto truck also.Any ideas?Not sure how they plumbed the pump setup in but I know it is on the frame rail under the door.

Whit

Reaction score
well the airdog fixed your fuel delivery problem so unless the injection pump is damaged then ther e is only one other thing

this may sound like a joke but I am serious, since the thing has an auto tranny they are famous for this stumbling act...............re-calibrate your apps

turn key on but dont start
slowly push accelerator pedel to the floor all the way
slowly let pedel all the way back up
turn key off
start truck and enjy............you are now re-calibrated

sounds corny but just do it bro

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Well,Tried that trick.Didn't seam to work.I didn't drive the truck though but here is what I did....

Got in,Turned the key on and for **** and giggles cranked it...fired up sputtered and died in about a second.Hit the key,cranked for about 3 seconds and fired up.Idled good.Romped down on go pedal(I know I know,Bad JuJu for the turbo) and it bogged.Tried again.Sputtered and then reved.Ok,Shut down let sit for 30 seconds.Turned on key,Depressed Loud pedal slowly(5 seconds down 5 seconds up)Turned off.Turned back on,fired up.Sputtered but didn't die.Smoothed out but still has the throttle blip sputter.Shut down and did the "Relearn" thing again but this time I did the slow up and down 3 times before turning off.Fired up and it seamed to run better and throttle response wasn't as bad but still didn't seam right.I know they redisigned the IP to stop the fuel starvation problems from doing major damage but you think when the lift pump bought the farm it might have killed the IP still?The guy drove it for a while on some LONG trips(Bama to Ohio,Northern bama to Florida hauling a gooseneck trailer with 15,000lbs on the deck.)

Whit

Reaction score
run the codes and see what comes up

best is if you have a scanne, if not the parts store usually has them and will run the codes for ya....................you can also run the codes yourself but its not always complete.

turn key on
off
on
off
on....read codes in odometer window

sounds like the IP has been damaged from lack of lubricity and cooling when the lift pump failed

Freight_Train

Reaction score
thank whitty!Will try that.....wonder if my Ranger does the same thing for codes?No problems just wondering.....2006 STX 3.0 manual no options but CD and AC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online