Truck not starting, help!

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I went to go leave my girlfriends house this evening, got in my truck that had only been sitting for about an hour in about 4 degrees on a slight downward angle. I get in let my glow plugs cycle and go to crank it over and it doesnt start. so i take my key out and let it sit for about 20 seconds, cycled the plugs twice more and still no start. My plugs are working, im getting air and fuel but it just doesnt wanna turn over.
Its currently sitting in her driveway so I have to go either tow it home tomorrow morning or attempt to fix it in her driveway.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Make sure the FSS is working, turn the key on and open the hood. Remove the wire on the driver side of the IP closest to the front of the engine. You should hear a click, make sure this is working.

If that checks out, unscrew the fuel filter and make sure that it is full of fuel. Cross over the starter solenoid with a wrench or screwdriver and make sure that the lift pump is pumping fuel with the fuel filter off....you will see it pump some fuel out. Dump out the fuel filter in a clean clear/white container and look for debris...change the filter if dirty, or just change it anyways as a precaution.

I would then back off an injector nut or two and make sure that there is actually getting to the injectors.

How much fuel is in the tanks? Do you have any injector caps leaking? It's never a good thing to hear about an IDI going home on the hook!

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a half tank in both front and rear, not enough that fuel wouldnt get to the sender from the tank to the pump.
Could a faulty CDR have anything to do with this? My friend works at Piers Diesel and he has told me that crank case pressure tends to be a problem with these trucks.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, the pressure would build up and eventually pop the oil dipstick out...blowing oil out of it. I had a Cummins M11 do that to me.

When you crank the truck over, are you getting white smoke from the tailpipe?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If you have white smoke, there is fuel getting to the cylinders. Just something to check out later on when it gets a little warmer out. The sun is beating down on Halifax right now, might be a half decent day here today!

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
yeah that only lasts a little while,then you start making excuses to leave ,just wait itll happen

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
been there
that's the third ring of marriage
for those of you who don't yet know the three rings of marriage:
1)engagement ring
2)wedding ring
3)suffering
lol
she always smacks me when I say that one

antivtec

Brown Bomber
Reaction score
your starter turning over fast enough? Fuel didnt gel up did it? my truck is a ******* to start up when it gets below 40 degrees but i think ive finally got it down to my starter is getting wore out and not spinning the old gal over fast enough

been there
that's the third ring of marriage
for those of you who don't yet know the three rings of marriage:
1)engagement ring
2)wedding ring
3)suffering
lol
she always smacks me when I say that one

marriage sounds like such a beautiful thing haha

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter is spinning plenty fast. It was 4 degrees Celsius so gelling wasn't really a concern.

So, I went there this morning with my friend in his first gen, broke out the jumper cables and it fired right up.
Today twice its not wanted to start, basically just cranked over till the batteries slowed down the starter (only running two 650CCA batts, blame the previous owner not me.)
No white smoke when im trying to turn it over. Could it be the return lines?

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible return line leakage. How long did it have to turn over to start with the the jumper cables? Sounds like you need some batteries and check the charging system.