Truck is quieter

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but my truck seems to be running quieter that usual. I was actually able to order at the drive through with out shutting down. Could this be a sign of inpending doom for some component?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without being funny it sounds like a timing issue to me. Can you see if the injection upmp has slipped or have you worked on the pump? Are you using a fuel system cleaner or have you used it before? Usually when these motors run quieter they are retarded on the timing some.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without being funny it sounds like a timing issue to me. Can you see if the injection upmp has slipped or have you worked on the pump? Are you using a fuel system cleaner or have you used it before? Usually when these motors run quieter they are retarded on the timing some.
What he said. I had the exact same thing happen to me; turned out that that nylon gear in my injector pump was disintegrating and clogging up the ball check valve in the return line exiting from the pump...which in turn put pressure on the pump's internals and somehow retarded the timing. At first, the engine was just quieter, then I started seeing white smoke, then the engine started missing. I cleaned the check valve out and the timing returned to normal for a while, until it would clog up again...

New pump, all better :D

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Mel set the timing a couple of months ago. I have 189k on the origional pump. Me thinks its time for a new one....

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got my truck, on my first highway drive, my truck got quiet all of a sudden. Nice thing though, I gained power and my fuel econ went up :)

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
Well I ordered a pump from www.MWFI.com today. I would love to have one of Ken’s pumps but his warranty service is not one to be desired, and this truck is my daily driver. So downtime = very bad. At least MWFI keeps rebuilt pumps in stock so turn around could be fast if this one is 10-7. After reading about Apex's pump delays I couldn’t risk it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online