Truck fires and dies also

acleary555

Reaction score
My rear tank is close to empty but my front tank is full. Im pretty sure im sucking air, as my fuel water seperator was only bout 1/3 full when i unscrewed it. I have a new fuel pump. Could it be my fuel tank selector solenoid thingy?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've heard of the tank selector getting something caught in it. Such as part of the "shower head" and it not allow it to switch tanks even though the gauge will still read from the tank you have it set to.

acleary555

Reaction score
So Im thinking the problem is the tank switcher, cuz i filled the empty rear tank, switched back to it, filled the empty seperator and it started and ran ok. My only concern is that im still sucking air somewhere, because when i got the truck to my house after totally filling the rear tank and letting it run awhile i pulled the seperator to see how full it was now. It wasnt FULL full but it was abou 3/4s full. Def more full then it was when trying to suck out of that empty tank.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
To be honest, as long as it's starting fine, I wouldn't worry to much. I took my filter off before and it was only like half full. And are you taking the filter off right after shutdown?

acleary555

Reaction score
actually I waited a little while before I pulled the filter off. just a little paranoid now this is my first diesel and me and my 2 kids are going dirtbiking tomorrow. I guess I will take a jug of diesel and if anything happens I can always refill my filter and start over.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh I see. I know they'll drain back a little. Maybe someone here with a little more experience will post soon. But like I said, as long as it's starting fine it shouldn't be a problem.