Truck Dies When I put the Clutch in

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
These past few days the truck has been acting kinda funny, ill go start it up early in the morning before school or work and let her idle for a bit and warm up, then ill start to head to school, but when i put the clutch in to shift to 2nd the RPMs drop really fast and the truck dies, but if i turn the key again she fires right back up.:dunno has anyone else had this problem before?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope.... All auto trans here... How old is the injection pump... Maybe a heavy charge of fuel additive might clean up a sticky pump....:dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
knowing this truck has been dormant for some time, whatever crud in the tank is prolly loosening up and making its way to the filter. you prolly going to have to change the filter more frequently than most for some time.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is crud in the metering valve , dose up the fuel heavy and it should help.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
There is crud in the metering valve , dose up the fuel heavy and it should help.

X2

You may want to dump out the fuel filter and fill it with a cleaning diesel fuel treatment, some guys use seafoam but never tried myself.

You may have to bleed the fuel system after though, but maybe not, no way of knowing on each truck until you try.

It helps to crank it or run it for a few seconds to get the treatment in the IP and let it sit so it has time to clean. Then start for a few seconds again and let it sit, and so on til you can't stand it anymore or you think the treatment has run through the IP and out of the filter.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER NOW! and fill it with diesel kleen,
When i plugged my fuel filter it acted just like you described, and mine finally started loosing power, at the time i didnt know what happens when the fuel filter plugs, my plugged filter lead to my rebuilt IP being burnt up and warranty wont cover that, dont make the same mistake i did,

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I would drop the tank and clean it.Refill with clean diesel ODed on diesel crank,pull the filter and fill with ATF and run it for a bit.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had this problem last year, it was caused by a bad batch of free fuel that had water in it. I pumped the tank, filled it with fresh fuel and some Howes/ATF...Drove it for a few days and it came out of the fog - working normal ever since....Hard to drive a stick like that when you have to feather the throttle....Any sudden drops in the throttle over 1500rpm and it would die, if I lugged it down a little less than that before I pushed the clutch in it was ok.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My E4OD equiped truck did that 2 winters ago while plowing. Go forward with a blade full of snow let off the fuel as you approached the snowbank, put it in neutral and once you stopped....turn the key to start it and back up.....fire it up again, drop the blade go forward....you get the picture.

I chaged out my fuel filter, dumped a good dose of fuel treatment in the tank, and litterally a gallon of ATF I had laying around here na dit came out of it by the next storm.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I had this problem last year, it was caused by a bad batch of free fuel that had water in it. I pumped the tank, filled it with fresh fuel and some Howes/ATF...Drove it for a few days and it came out of the fog - working normal ever since....Hard to drive a stick like that when you have to feather the throttle....Any sudden drops in the throttle over 1500rpm and it would die, if I lugged it down a little less than that before I pushed the clutch in it was ok.

Yeah its not fun trying to put the clutch in shift gears and feather the throttle all the while trying to keep rolling straight down the road. But she is doing exactly as you said any sudden change over 1500 and its dead no ifs ands or buts.

Hopefully with that MASSIVE dose of Diesel Kleen i put through her it will clear up a bit, but my plan is to pick up at least 3 or 4 more filters and a few cheapie in line filters to put before the main one to help it out a bit