truck dies and loses all electrical power

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
This is my first post so everyone knows =) My truck is a 1984 f-250 6.9 idi c6. While plowing snow the truck will just shut off. Like everything, all electrical power. I would normally have to sit there for a few seconds and then it would come back and the truck starts fine. Some times when I put it in reverse it shuts off and does the same thing like right when i hit reverse. I am just wondering if this is a common problem with them? I have been looking on here but havnt found anything yet.
Thanks

ford 6.9

Reaction score
Probably just a short but with electrical you never know. Maybe something with the trans shorting something out would be my first guess not knowing tho.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your ignition switch sloppy? My stang would do this if I hit a bump or floored it, replaced the ignition switch and it was gtg.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
No actually i think the switch is tight, like its harder to turn than all my other vehicles.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go by that. My tumbler felt fine, what made me lean to replacing my switch is all my battery connections were good, not much left after the connections that controls all the electrical so I replaced the switch down on the column, problem gone. If you think yours is a little harder to turn you may want to look into that any way.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Ya i hear ya. thanks. I havnt had time to look into it but i will let you guys know what i find.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
A common problem with the 83-86 trucks is there is a two wire connector over behind the pass battery. One smaller wire and a large yellow wire go through it. The yellow wire is all the power for the chassis. Over time it gets corroded, which makes the connection heat up, and then it melts the plug.

If the plastic is discolored or melted, or the connection is pitted/corroded, then your best bet it to cut the yellow wire on both sides of the gray plastic connector and splice it back together. Be sure to get a good clean connection and heat shrink it to prevent it from corroding. :)

Edit: Now with pictures... :D You can see the gray connector near the bottom of the pic and the yellow wire (with old melted butt connector).

Attachments

• IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 27

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Matrix, Thanks for that info and the picture. That thing was corroded bad and the connector was melted completely. This yellow wire on mine was just a one wire connector though but the exact same spot as what you are showing? But I turned the lights on and i wiggled the wire and the lights went off and on. I cut the connector out and there was no power at all for anything, truck wouldnt turn over or anything. I butt connected it back together and truck started and ran good. I do believe that was the problem. The glow plugs arent working either and i was wondering if these systems are exactly the same as the 7.3 idi because i dont see the controller on the back of the engine like my 7.3?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Your image didn't work.

The 6.9L controller threads into the block on the drivers side at the rear. They are prone to failure (i'm told anyway). Your options are to either install a switch and control the glow plugs manually, or retro fit the 7.3L controller onto your engine. I run manual glow plugs.

Glad to see you got that yellow wire repaired.