Truck died this morning.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 87 F-350 died this morning. I got in to go to work and it started right away like usual, as soon as it fired up the engine surged and it died. It wouldn't fire after that. Any guesses what it could be? I didn't have time to trouble shoot the issue, I had to get to work. The fuel system is all new within the last couple years and 10,000 miles; new injectors, return lines, IP with timing set correct. The only thing that wasn't replaced was the fuel pump.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance your fuel tank is 1/4 or less? If so, a possibility is that the pickups break off in these tanks and 1/4 tank can be the same as empty.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you said your fuel pump wasnt replaced right? I'd check your fuel pressure at the filter head. A simple test by holding the schrader valve open while having someone crank it will tell you if its actually pumping. Fuel isnt going to gush out like it does while running but you should get at least some spurts.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do that tonight when I get home. If there is pressure there then I will check after the IP. I guess I'm worried it is something internal in the engine although I'm sure it is something fuel related.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also check voltage with the key on at the shut off solenoid on the injection pump....cant overlook that lil' booger. I've watched guys crank 5.9 12 valves for hours only to find out its a shut off solenoid. Another quick fuel pump diag is pull your fuel filter down and see if its empty:eek:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel system is all new within the last couple years and 10,000 miles; new injectors, return lines, IP with timing set correct. The only thing that wasn't replaced was the fuel pump.

Two years eh?

Start with checking the fuel coming out of fuel filter at schrader valve, while you crank engine!

If good then I'd suggest go further check your return line caps, fuel filter etc.

Then try cranking 15-20 seconds, wait a few minutes then same procedure.

Should start, to me sounds like you've got air!

Likely going to take quite a bit of cranking to solve this

You did mention lift pump not new, so thats why I say check if it squirts well while cranking first.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fuel drained out of the injection pump but there was enough to start, run for a few seconds. Then die. Now cranking will refill it but thats not fixing the leak. Could be the lift pump. The line fittings to and from the filter too. Could be the injection pump itself has developed a leak too. Check the valley pan for wetness. If its wet under the pump then find where its leaking from. Plenty of spots for fuel to leak out of the pumps.

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it started, not sure what was wrong with it. The previous owner had installed an inline electric pump. I unplugged it after I bought it but left it connected as a backup. I got home and checked for pressure at the schrader valve, nothing at first. I plugged in the electric pump and after cranking for a few fuel started coming out of the valve, a few cranks later it fired up. I unhooked the electric pump and it is still running. I see no sign of leaks. I guess the lift pump is going, not sure.