Truck cant take fuel fast

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We on this forum have found a few differant ways to fix the slow fueling issues. Mostly the problem is the necks. Right at the top of the neck we have a small plate that reduces down the opening. Look at the bottom of that plate and see a small hole. Thats where al the air in the tank has to move thru. As I recall all the fuel travels down the inside rubber hose that enters the tank. All the air travels up the neck around that hose and exits thru that tiny hole. Making that hole larger will allow more air to escapefaster. On top of the tanks both front and back we have something called a roll over valve. If the truck rolls that closes off and not fuel is supposed to leak out. When I harpooned my tank I ran a 1/2 inch hose from that roll over valve area to the top of the filler necks. I brased in a 1/2 inch street elbow. Now I can use the big rig pumps with the large nozzles. Its not perfect but its much better. The article is called harpooning the tanks... Don't know why either..

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, I might try reamin' out that hole and see if that works, the larger roll over valves for harpooning appear to be getting difficult to find. Once i fill up for the first time with the new vent line and larger diam holes, ill post the results!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I had this problem with my flat deck. Just removing the smaller hose inside the larger fuel filler hose made a huge difference, as shown in the picture below. The front tank gauge started working too! Bonus!

You must be registered for see images attach

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got TransferFlow filler necks on the crew cab and ***** (my Dad) modified filler necks on my F250. They both will take big rig nozzles, but the mods Dad made to my necks/vent system works better. I can run the big nozzles wide open and fill an empty tank in less than 60 seconds. Have to use the "first click" with the TransferFlow necks, but still that's much faster than stock.

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have...Have...HAVE to do this mod cause damn deck makes the frggen filler necks in stupid location...so I'll be modding my necks for use with my deck and doing the mod to add at least a 5/8 line as a vent line. I may reintroduce the roll over valve into the equation too.

Rest assured, pictutorial is on it's way there too...

Too much on the go...I gotta get it under control...LOL

Wifey...she just shakes her head n rolls her eyes some times...

Al

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read that dieselstop link, but what I did was take the roll-over valve out, but kept the grommet. Find a really close elbow that fits in the grommet and use that to hook your larger hose to. The front tank you have lots of room, the rear tank you have very little room on top of the rear tank. I used a copper elbow, and the bed still squished down a little bit on top of it.

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
I have this same filler problem but not to get off subject I was curious about this 1/4 tank blues issue cause if it is was I think it is I believe my truck has this very problem on both tanks. Some explanation and help with that would be fantastic i would love to use all my fuel in the tanks.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the "quarter tank blues" is when you get to 1/4 tank (more like 1/3 a tank for me...) and the truck dies from lack of fuel. The problem is the fuel pickup inside the tank gets brittle and falls apart, both my tanks had the pickup "showerheads" floating around inside the tank. Some people install new showerheads, some use a piece of hose (see "The Hose mod") and I think some people use the sock style pickup off the earlier trucks. I Happened to have 2 new showerheads in great shape off a truck I parted out sitting around, so I threw them in. We will see how long they last.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem with my flat deck. Just removing the smaller hose inside the larger fuel filler hose made a huge difference, as shown in the picture below. The front tank gauge started working too! Bonus!

You must be registered for see images attach
I did that to mine tonight. What a disaster!

I got the fill pipe with the smaller hose inside it out pretty fast. I then tried to remove the restrictor and the 3ft long hose. I got the restricter to the bend in the fill pipe and that was the end of that. No way was it going any farther. We pulled, hammered, cusseed etc and it was just not going around that bend.

I ended up cutting the end of my fill pipe off just below the gas cap, took the old fill pipe and had the muffler shop behind us bend a new fill pipe then I soldered the part with the fuel cap onto my new fill pipe and stuck it back together that way.

A 20 minute job turned into a 3 hr project.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
chris142, I just pulled the inner hose off. I didn't butcher any metal. Sorry your project turned into a **** show.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chris142, I just pulled the inner hose off. I didn't butcher any metal. Sorry your project turned into a **** show.

Oh! Or should I say DOH! Oh well I'm going to run this tank out and see how it fills. I never use it because it takes so long to fill

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I moddede both tanks on my truck. One my front tank I relocated the rollover valve up by the top of the filler neck. To do this I welded a new nipple in the top of the filler neck at the new nipple I added a tee the top of the tee has the rollover valve and the other side of the the tee is 1" that goes back to the tank to allo it to vent. This mod helped my front tank fill faster but cannot fill wide open. Still much better than before. On the rear tank I removed the inner tube in the filler neck and relocated the rollover valve just like on the rear tank. The rear tank can be filled wide open until the last gallon. Very happy with the mods.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I got fuel today and mines fixed! I was able to pump fuel w/o the pump clicking off every 3 seconds. I wonder who's idea that hose in a hose is?