Tru-Cool Max Transmission Cooler

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
got my other hose today and hooked it up. started truck up and ZERO leaks!!!!!!

took it for a short drive and still no leaks. did not drive far enough to really see what the cooler will do. just have to wait for my dad to get home to help me put the bumper back on.

it is REALLY nice when simple tasks like this go smooth and easy.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the way to go. Water (coolant) transfers more heat than air. If they just had double the size tank on the rad, wouldn't even need an aux. cooler. Just think how much air the aux cooler blocks.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
first long drive with the new cooler. outside temp was ~95*F. drove for about an hour in light city traffic. trans temps never got higher than 160*F. before with the old cooler i would have easily hit 190*F today.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ordered mine last night. Probably overkill for what I need, but what's on there now is nuthin' but roadkill.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Is now when I point out that tranny fluid (and trannies) are happiest/most efficent between 185-210 degrees F (just like your engine, its actully designed to be within 10 deg of normal coolant temps)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
tranny fluid (and trannies) are happiest/most efficent between 185-210 degrees F

mine doesn't like that hot. feels like a totally different trans at those temps. shifts are soft and mushy and it hesitates when it shifts. it also holds onto each gear longer at those temps. if i keep mine under 185*F then the shifts are nice and quick and predictable as well.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Now we put something like that on my friends truck but it had a built in thermostat. I'm looking to order one, I wonder what the benefits are of the one with the tstat?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot to add a filter! I keep my 4R70W cool with one of similar size - mine doesn't go through the radiator though...
You must be registered for see images attach

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same cooler on the 93 since 08. It works amazingly well. I had originally purchased the thermostat that goes with it but it didn't work well so I took it off after 3 days. My temps are close to yours. Average 150 - 165 depending on ambient temps. Towing less than 200°.
You will be happy with it IMO.

gandalf

Reaction score
I too have that cooler, and I too purchased the thermostat which goes with it. It's a little blue "H" shaped thing. I too eventually removed that little thermostat, and found the transmission ran noticeable cooler without it.