Transmissions behind mechanical cummins

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any way to connect the ford e4od to a cummins? Or any other overdrive auto. Anyone know of non electronic overdrive auots that will go behind a cummins even if there needs to be some work before it will bolt in?
Looks like the stand alone computers for these things dont need a Vehicle speed sensors only the only on the tranny the output shaft speed sensor. Or am i wrong? The dodge 48re is a whole different story ive read, also i think theyre junk stock and i dont see anyone that makes a stand alone ecm for that tranny.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The dodge automatics can be built to handle power, but power comes at a price. The weakest link in those transmissions are thier torque converters. All these tranny's are basically 727 torque-flites with an overdrive bolted on the back and electronic controlled. An E4OD is a good tranny as well, if you have it built to handle the power a 5.9 can produce and put a tripple lock T/C in front of it.
To answer your question about an adapter for E4OD to Cummins 5.9, the answer is yes, there are adapters out there. Try "googling" fordcummins.com and you should find your answer.
http://fordcummins.com/
This link should work

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Both suck.......in stock form.

I reckon either one will perform great if you build them up.

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
As far as im concerned e4od's are CRAP, I like fords, but even behind a gaspot those trannies are weak and are plagued with electrical issues.

Like pipeliner86 said, The dodge 518's can be built to handle power, with a heavy duty low stall converter, a really good cooler, and ATF+4 I think they are 50 times better than an E4OD. Also the dodge autos are not electronically controlled, only two functions are... 1.) converter lockup and 2.) overdrive otherwise they are basically a 727 from back in the 70's

My advice... GET A MANUAL!!!

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Dodge made the 47RH which is non electronic. GM had the 700R4 which can be built up. I'd stay away from the E4OD since it's very expensive to build up.

My advice, use the 47Rh and install a good TC. No adapters needed and no special cross member, transfer case, etc issues.

xzaq103

Reaction score
I would say put a built 47re behind it. Goerend, HTS, DTT all make good transmissions. When i get mine im going with HTS. After talking to dusty and other people wit HTS i fee confident about its ability to hold 12 valve power:)

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the 47rh just updated versions of the 518? All it needs really is what you could wire up with a speed switch or for that matter a toggle for the lockup and overdrive couldnt you?

NoGin_Cummins

Typical Dodge Owner
Reaction score
The 47RH and the A518 are exactly the same transmission, Chrysler changed the way they numbered thier transmissions in I beleive 1993,

The first digit 4: denotes the number of speeds (it's a 4 speed)
The 2nd digit 7: stands for the strength ex. light duty front wheel drive is 41TE
The 3rd digit R: should stand for rear wheel drive T for transverse FWD L for longitudinal FWD.
The 4th digit H tells you that it has hydraulic controls, whereas E would mean electronic.

I still call it a 518, and I still call my town and country minivan a 604 even though its a 41TE.

As for lockup and overdrive on a switch, its entirely possible many people have manual lockup, overdrive is already locked out by a switch, but it is also controlled by engine temperature and road speed, if you figure out the wiring for the two solenoids you could very easily control it yourself.