Transmission Service

catodd

Reaction score
I plan to change the fluid in my E40D, just have a few questions.

1. What fluid do you recommend? Mercon V?
2. How many quarts?
3. Due I drain TC? If so, do you have to fill fluid back into TC or just dipstick?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
This was the procedure that one of the engineers from Ford posted on F-D.com (before it changed to TDS and FoMoCo lawyers told he couldn't post any longer)...

He said that when doing the service the very first time on the E4OD and R4100 that you drop the pan and change the filter mat - after that he said that it wasn't needed because if there were any "chunks" that they would have shown up in the first few thousand miles and so subsequent filter mat changes were not needed because it really didn't filter much anyway...

He said to pop off the tranny line after the coolers and before it dropped the fluid back into the pan. Direct the line into a bucket or something else that was large enough to hold the fluid in the tranny - around 3 gallons.

Now start the truck and keep it in neutral - watch for air bubbles in the tranny fluid and let it pump the fluid out - then once air pockets were seen shut the truck off and fill through the dipstick tube about the amount that was discharged into the bucket. Then repeat the procedure until all the tranny fluid had been exchanged then top off the system and button up the line - enjoy.

I always wanted to make for sure that I got all the tranny fluid out and would grab a 5 gallon water jug (like the ones used on water coolers) and would keep doing the purge procedure and refill until the 5 gallon jug was full. I figured that since it held 3 gallons then I know all the fluid (even with some mixing occuring) had been flushed out.

I always lived by the rule of "A happy fluid is a cool, clean and often changed fluid" So I ran an aux filter set up made by Perma-cool and used not only the stock cooler in the bottom of the rad but also an aux cooler that was strapped to the front of the rad assembly. I would route the fluid out of the tranny to the aux filter then from there to the stock oem cooler in the rad then off to the aux cooler than finally back to the trans. This worked well for me - I would change the spin on filter on the system when I changed the oil and filter (routine maint) and would top off as needed with the trans at that time. which the filter was the old standard Ford V8 filter I think it's a PH8A if memory serves correctly...

Now if you wish to drain the TC it will fill up via the dipstick just need to start the truck and let it pump the fluid around a bit then recheck and top off as needed. An automatic transmission is a fluid pump so it will circulate the fluid for you and will refill the TC.

jsnap

Dunce
Reaction score
The tranny service its simple bud drop the pan change the filter after, the filter is out reach up in the hole the filter neck came out of and make sure the seal came out with the old filter, replace filter close the pan up. Take of the converter cover crank the conv around till you the plug drain it all give it time then close it up. NOW Heres the most important part fill the unit back up with type F fluid forget mercon and all the friction modifiers in it another word for friction modifiers is liquid clutch killers. Type F and you will be happy remember the enginers build these cars and trucks for comfort the average person dont want to feel the shifts and that is one of the reasons for the modifiers to get a smooth shift and to do that you need slippage good for feel bad for clutches

Last edited by a moderator:

1994IDI

Reaction score
Two informative articles here though, thanks to both.

Last edited by a moderator:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Guys! I have edited and actually went so far as to remove some posts in this thread. Take this as your friendly warning. All parties involved have been sent PM's so don't feel like you have been singled out.

Ok now back to exchange of information - enjoy!