Transmission question

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I want to purchase a 91 E4OD transmission for my 92 but I know the gear selector lever is different. I have switched out the levers before on other transmissions but I don't have one laying around. Did the 91 have a shift linkage or cable? And if it has a cable can I put a 91 cable in a 92 truck? Or...does anyone have an old 92+ trans laying around that has the correct arm I could purchase? Thanks in advance guys!

And I know someone will say to purchase the correct year transmission...this 91 transmission is a steal.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1992 is the transition year for when ford started using a lot more cables in the truck - including the transmission linkage.

1991 and older should have a bell crank system of rods and levers with a different style of shift arm on the side of the transmission. However, if you drop the pan and are able to pull the roll pin, you can swap the shift levers across the 1992 transition year.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 92 and up trannys also don't have a location for a speedometer unless you have a tcase.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
1992 is the transition year for when ford started using a lot more cables in the truck - including the transmission linkage.

1991 and older should have a bell crank system of rods and levers with a different style of shift arm on the side of the transmission. However, if you drop the pan and are able to pull the roll pin, you can swap the shift levers across the 1992 transition year.

I have switched em out before. You just confirmed my fear though. The only "easy" way is to switch out shift levers. Soooo..... who's got an extra? :D