Transcommand Experience on 93 E4OD?

Rainer1965

Reaction score
Hi all,

As a newbie in this Forum and a newbie on any automobile technics I have a question that you might be able to answer.

Let me first introduce myself shortly. My name is Rainer and I live in Germany. Here I bought last year a TripleE-Regency Motorhome built on a Ford E350 econoline base with the 7.3l Diesel and the E4OD transmission.

Bought it last year and after 300km the tranny broke down completely and was overhauled for a lot of money....

Speaking to a couple of guys with some knowledge I often hear the E4OD is pretty much overloaded with a 6 ton motorhome. So good thing to do is keep OD off if the road is ascending and in general "drive carefully and be aware it is not going to last too long"

I have built in an additional oil - cooling system and keep on hoping that everything is fine. But always with a little bit of sweat in the face when travelling through mountains or even park on a height leveller....

So now I found this Banks Transcommand thing which should keep the shifting more firm and avoids a part of the slippage .

Is there anyone who has similar issues or fears and has built in a Kit from Banks and can share his experience?

BTW: Apologies for any typos, is a foreign language for me, be patient with myself when asking silly things : Maybe I just didn't get the answer[emoji4] .

Rainer

Liebe Grüße

Rainer

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to this forum. It is important to know what the tps (throttle positioning switch) switch voltage is set for. This is the grey switch found on the drivers side of the injection pump throttle shaft. The center wire must show .96 to 1.2 volts for best shifting. Use a digital voltmeter and warm up the engine. then turn the key on but engine not running. At the idle position check the center wire for voltage. The .96 voltage will be a very soft shift but the 1.2 volts is a much firmer better shift.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Banks Transcommand is nothing more that a electronic band aid. What it does is ramp up the EPC solenoid to firm up the shifts. Then it alters the TPS signal to adjust the shift schedule.

The Better route TransGo Tugger or Sonnax Sure Cure kits. Both kits modify the front pump, valve body and accumulator body. To firm up the shifts. Plus they address the other issues like poor line rise. delayed forward and reverse. Improved manual shifting. plus some other stuff you can't get from an electronic box.:D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking to a couple of guys with some knowledge I often hear the E4OD is pretty much overloaded with a 6 ton motorhome. So good thing to do is keep OD off if the road is ascending and in general "drive carefully and be aware it is not going to last too long"

if it was properly built up then it far supersedes the first gen E40D specs to meet at least the 2nd gen revision (1995+) so it will now be a greatly improved trans compared to what you originally had.
there is no harm with running in OD.there's no need to cancel OD unless the trans hunts back and forth between od and 3rd.with a properly set TPS and the diesel engine,it wont.this is more of an issue with the 302/5.0 trucks.
canceling OD can be helpful while descending hills however.during the reman,always ask for a shift kit.you can add one yourself.i did a write up in the tech section for transgo's (super kits!) you'd like that much better than the t-command.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.
That Triple E MH is a really nice one if IIRC. Last I knew, there made in Canada.

Cooling the trans oil for the E4OD is of the utmost important issue. If you don't have a temperature gauge, you should get one and install it in the pressure check port just forward of the shift lever on the tranny.

Your oil cooling lines should run thru the radiator, then thru an auxiliary cooling unit in front of the radiator. Your oil temp should run between 175*F to 200*F in a Motorhome, mountain climbing, it could reach 220*F.

The above suggestions, Tugger Kit or Sonnax is way better than Banks.

Can you post a pic of your oil cooler you installed?

Rainer1965

Reaction score
@OLDBULL8:

Not a good place to take photos, especially when sun is shining that nicely as it did over the weekend. Here my best try

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Is in fact sitting behind the front grill on the drivers side close to the water Cooling system and installed pretty well I assume. The gauge (just installed a couple of hundred miles ago) is normally below 195°F (90°C), usually around 175.

So that seems to work.

@Icanfixitall: I am a dummie.... could you help me locating the TPS?

You must be registered for see images

Liebe Grüße

Rainer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.