trans question

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
okay guys i just found this truck on craigslisthttp://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/963363593.html

would this truck have an e4od or a c-6 in it? I am pretty sure that 89 was the first year for the e4od but i am not positive. Also were both trans an option? I am going to look at the truck tomorrow and i want to get an idea of how much $ its going to cost to get on the road.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
so if i understand it right the trans should have second and reverse or else something mechanicaly is wrong in the trans?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A replacement E4OD will be between $1200-$5000 depending on how stock or upgraded it is. You could probably get an OEM spect tranny in the $1000 range if indeed its mechanically shot.

If you are asking about limp mode, the transmission will still have reverse in "R", 2nd gear in "2" or "1", and 4th gear on "(D)". Thats how a healthy E4OD works when there is no electrical power. The torque converter will not lock up in limp mode.

There is also the PCM commanded limp mode where the computer detects a fault and commands hard shifting and flashes the OD light. I this type of limp mode, the transmission should still shift automatically through the gears when in "(D)", but may not go into overdrive or lock the torque converter.