trans overdrive light blinking

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a problem, on my way to work this morning my overdrive light on the shifter started blinking,the tranny goes into overdrive but shifts hard into all gears. What the hell is this????the truck is a 93 7.3 idi non turbo auto,

help thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your tranny is throwing some (I wanna say codes LOL) fits. Something in the tranny isnt right, weither its a dirty sensor, or something major like your T/C failing.

So your tranny is going into limp mode. It increases the line preassure so the tranny doesnt slip much during the shift, hence the harsh shifts.

Others have experience with the E4OD. Crawl under the truck and look for wiring that goes into the tranny. Pull all of them out and clean them up. That might fix it. If not, then its going to get a little more invovled. Might wanna pull your tranny pan and see if there is any metal on the bottom of it (there should be a magnent there to trap metal).

My dads 95 PSD did this. Turned out the T/C crapped out, and sent a bunch of metal through the tranny. Good luck with it, and I truly hope its just some dirty wiring.

I dont know if you can do it to the IDI's, but on my dads PSD...you could unhook the batteries for like 10 minutes and the truck will go back to normal.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice,went underneth and didnt really find any thing after work , guess i will drive the motorcycle to work tommorow,and check out the harness thursday.hope thats it!

gandalf

Reaction score
Are both the tach and the speedometer working smoothly and accurately? If the sensors for either one go south, it will throw the transmission into limp-home mode.

But did you say it shifts up into overdrive? If that's the case it's not in limp mode, I don't believe. If it will shift all the way into overdrive, there may be a greater problem. Find a scanner and see what codes you get. Find the codes and somebody here can translate for you.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the codes scanned before digging in too deep. It could be a sensor, or an internal mechanical fault.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I agree that getting your codes read should be your first step. Autozone will read codes for free just stop by and have them plug into it. If your local autozone can't read codes post back and we can go from there.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being out here in the country, the nearest autozone is 70 miles round trip, I called wortmans ford and they are going to read the scans, so i can get to working on it.

gandalf

Reaction score
Ok so there is a port to read the codes of the tranny.....I didnt know that ;Sweet

The port on my '92 is high up on the fender, under the hood by the driver's side hood spring.

This would apply to the E4OD, which has computer control. The C6 is completely mechanical, has no computer, and therefore no port.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The port on my '92 is high up on the fender, under the hood by the driver's side hood spring.

This would apply to the E4OD, which has computer control. The C6 is completely mechanical, has no computer, and therefore no port.

Of course only to the E4OD. I mean I knew that it had some electronics to it, because you can get the banks trannscomand and what not, but I didnt know if it had a port to check for codes.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got back from the dealer,found a code 62 ,torque convertor slippage. While it was on the rack I had the tech check the conections,all were fine but he found one with tranny fluid in it ,that part is 300.00 anyway the light went off and shifts fine. I did stop at napa a got a filter kit ,that should help[ it. how many quarts of dexron-mercron 3 does it hold?
thanks

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
16 quarts for a total fill.

How I used to do it to the Enterprise was I would pull off the return line as it left the last cooler (next stop for the fluid was tranny pan) then I put it in a 5 gallon water jug and have Sherri start the truck up in park. She would shut it off when I would scream at her - when the fluid started to show bubble in it. Then I would crawl up top and dump in about what had pumped out and we would start the process again. I would continue this until I had filled the 5 gallon jug then I would top and enjoy.... I was sure at that point that all the fluid had been flushed from the tranny.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a problem, on my way to work this morning my overdrive light on the shifter started blinking,the tranny goes into overdrive but shifts hard into all gears. What the hell is this????the truck is a 93 7.3 idi non turbo auto,

help thanks

Mine just did the same thing & it was the tach sensor. Fixed.

Chuck