Trans Ideas

71IDI4x4

Reaction score
Well after runnin this truck around Ive found that the Ranger OD thats in it is on its way out. Didnt really notice it with the other motor because it was so loud. It needs an overdrive and I like the ability to split gears but I know the motors probly too much for it. I have a 4wd ZF in the 93 I pulled the motor from but its got a nice crack in the bell housing that runs from the passenger side bottom edge to the top of the drivers side. Mine has the divorced transfer case and I would like to keep that. So I wouldnt mind findin a 2wd ZF but I dont want that BH to crack like the one I have. Is there any way to try and make a transmission from an international with an IDI work or maybe a NV? Any help is appreciated.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The crack is from abuse. I have seen another cracked the way you described. The kid was pulling stumps and was a little aggressive. BTW I would be interesting in the ranger. :D

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crack could also be from a dmf going bad, if a dmf comes apart it can put a lot of stress on the bellhousing. i have seen 2 trucks where the dmf came completely apart and broke the transmission completely from the engine.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW Ive had autos with cracks fixed by welding them. Of course it would depend on how big the crack is and possibly where on the housing it is. And since I dont trust my welding skills I took it to a machine shop. Said its fairly common to have them repaired.

I thought manual trans has removable bellhousings?? On most autos a crack would either mean welding (if possible) or a whole different trans because the BHs are one with the case. I guess you could always just get another BH???

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The T18/19 Borg-Warner Transmissions have a removable bell housing.... like most older manual gearboxes....

The ZF-5/6 and I believe the NV45/5600 have an integral bell housing just like automatics do. So to replace the bell housing on a ZF-5 you would have to replace the entire case, just like an automatic..... so if it is able to be repaired, that would be the only way to save this transmission, without emptying the case and transplanting the guts to another case.