Trans Cooling, Is this enough?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I was thinking about my t-cooler and decided that with the addition of the intercooler, I am going to be cramped for space in front of the rad. So I picked up one of these.

Most of my towing will be a total of 12,500 GCVW, (truck and 5ver) and some short distances will be 16,000 GCVW with the Jeep or Bronco in tow behind the 5ver.

I can mount it on the frame by the Transfer Case, have it auto activated by a switch that kickis on at 180 and off at 170. And still be able to montor the temps in 2 places.

Do you think it will be enough cooling if I just run it through this?

Attachments

• SV500002.JPG
    SV500002.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 6
  • SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    384.5 KB · Views: 11
  • SV500003.JPG
    SV500003.JPG
    403.1 KB · Views: 8

sassyrel

Reaction score
more than enough------except. As your driving down the road--all the heat of the engine is rolling under the truck--exhaust heat included---thats why they are in front of the truck--cant find someplace in front???

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the summer time I run just an aftermarket cooler(smaller than that), I bypass the one in the radiator, since the trans runs hotter with it.
So YES that will be fine.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Cool (pun intended) thanks for the input. I will just run that.

I will come out of the trans with the hot line, take it to my aux bypass filter, then to the inline temp sensor, through the cooler, an back to the trans. That will cut down on a LOT of line that I used to have going up to the front of the truck, then through all of that plus 2 coolers (rad and aux).

I will mount everything between the frame rails under the drivers side.

more than enough------except. As your driving down the road--all the heat of the engine is rolling under the truck--exhaust heat included---thats why they are in front of the truck--cant find someplace in front???

One thing with this setup, and the Cummins, all of the exhaust is only on the passener side of the motor, I will locate the cooler on the drivers side, that should help some I would think.

Holy schnikies!
Does Lori know that's going on the 77?

Now that you mentioned it, It is possible that I may have installed the wrong cooler on the 77,..cookoo

Here is the 1977 that is in question:
http://dandlautosales.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=71649512

Now to clarify that statement from Ron,, He called me today as I was looking at coolers. I had to install one on the 1977 F-250 and had a nice big cooler hanging on my wall that I purchased at last years IDI Rally to get me home with the PSD with the questionable tranny,

Since I was origionally going to use that cooler and buy a fan for it for my truck, I decided that I could buy this set up instead, and bill it to the 77 F250, therefore "justifying" the purchase and writing it off at the same time.;Sweet