tranny swap problems

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello folks....been a while so.....I just converted my truck from a C6 to a bolt action. I can not get the thing to crank, turn the key, all lights come on and the glowplug relay does its thing and.......nothing . I still have the C6 harness for the tranny and thought that may be my problem cause it's sending a message to the thing like it's in gear maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Going off memory here, but on the later c6 like you had, I think the neutral safety switch was actually on the transmission near the shift linkage. So you'd need to locate the connector that went there, and jumper the two wires together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel the same about the neutral safety switch needing to be bypassed. Might just put the switch back on the harness plug and leave it in park or neutral so it will start..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you still have an auto column, the selector should be placed in park or neutral and pinned
if not the key wont beable to get into the start position.

remember this for later when you cant get your key out

NSS needs to be jumpered too. as posted

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
. Let's see if this works.....we all like pictures here. It's my transgender truck....LOL. The truck will not crank with the key but I can crank it at the solenoid under the hood. This is aggravating....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it should be red/ltblue.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks laserjock, I found that earlier and jumped the wires and still won't crank with the key but will with a screwdriver on the solenoid. I just replaced the ignition switch so is it possible I got a bad one?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what did you do with the neutral safety switch when you pulled the C6? First thing I would do is confirm you have power to one of the wires in that connector in start position and work from there. Maybe put 12V to the wires in that connector and make sure one of them turns the engine over. You may have a problem down stream. Depending on where and how you jumped the wires, it may be worth plugging the NSS back in and just trying it. It's a simple enough circuit.

Did you install the clutch safety switch?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is possible your ignition switch down on the column is out of adjustment. That would keep it from going clear to start if it is. I believe you would slide the switch up the column if it is not reaching the start position.

I go back to see if you get power at your NSS jump in start position. If not back up.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the switch on the column is slid all the way up. The nss I put back on and in park and nothing but will work jumping it with the screwdriver....I will check voltage when I get home later....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a meter or testlight and hook the + to the splice you made with the two red/blue wires. Get someone to turn the key while you have the + on the splice and the - on a good ground. When they spring the key to start if you get nothing, your problem is upstream in the ignition switch area.

There should have been a alignment pin that you stuck in the switch to hold it in the correct position while you bolted it down. Then pull the pin.

Could be also your pot metal piece in the column happened to break during the swap. Once you get the ignition switch set in the correct position, if it still won't crank, take the cover off the column near the cluster, you will see a rod on top of the column that moves with the key. Turn the key to start and then take pliers and "help" the rod down toward the cluster. If it cranks, your pot metal piece is broken inside the column.(if you have a tilt column).

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
NSS Jumper

This is the connector I had to jumper on my '86. It used to have a C6. Now it has a ZF-5. This connector is on the drivers side frame rail. You'll need to jumper the wires with the Red/Light Blue stripe.

I used a modified beer bottle cap for the jumper. :) Cheap *** is how I roll.
I think the other pins are for the Reverse lights.