Tranny problems 6spd. Manual

dwilsonpensltd

Reaction score
Ok guys heres the deal I spent a ton of money to get a truck with a 7/70 powertrain only to find out that its void past 2 owners....woops. SO now I am having issues with my 6spd manual. It is shifting hard and grinds coming out and going into gears as if there clutch is not disengaging all the way. It has 66k on it and had only 47k when I got it. I drive all highway and the previous owner pulled some but not a ton. I have no idea about the first owner. SO any ideas? I would get a new 6.7L but it can't touch the 25mpg I am getting:thumbsup:
Thanks in advance !!!! I will have my sig up shortly

Dan

Whit

Reaction score
change the fluid

my 6 speed was gettin hard to shift at 70k so I went with Amsoil manual tranny fluid and it straightened right out

(recommended)Dodge NV5600 6 spd Texaco STF or Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.5 pts

(Amsoil)NV5600 Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF) SAE 5W-30,

Last edited:

dwilsonpensltd

Reaction score
I have amsoil in my motor and was going to put in the tranny too. I guess now is the time to try it! Thanks!!

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
25mpg is not unheard of if its a 2wd. My inlaws dually 4x4 gets a consistent 19 when empty and its bone stock.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
19 unloaded I'll buy.... these rediculous claims of 25-30 that keep popping up are just great for a morning giggle.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm with Kevin on this one.
Change out the fluid. Syn or not.
You'll find it's better shifting.

Whit

Reaction score
the NV5600's syncros are very sensitive and it seams as soon as the oil starts to go they shift bad....................good signal eh

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19 unloaded I'll buy.... these rediculous claims of 25-30 that keep popping up are just great for a morning giggle.

:rotflmao :rotflmao Try not to laugh too hard Mikey, I've been getting 22 - 23 mpg every trip hand calculated running empty since I got mine last month and 14,000 miles ago That's truck in my sig, stock, no chip, 80 psi in the tires, Progressive shifting, ease onto the throttle while accelerating, running 57 - 63 mph.

Loaded with identical 30' Gulfstream Canyon Trail mid profile fifth wheel trailers the Cummins has bettered the fuel economy of the 6.0 psd by 3 mpg over the same routes in similar conditions. Got 11.5 mpg with the Cummins vs 8.5 with the psd. Have seen as high as 15 mpg pulling travel trailers with the Cummins which is what the PSD got EMPTY:eek:. All hand calculated.

I don't think 25 is too unrealistic....... 30, now I agree that's pushing it.

Leaving out Monday for another trip to Saskatchewan for 2 shows with a final delivery in Alberta, will finally be able to see what it gets running 100% empty with the bully dog triple dog set on tow economy on the way back next weekend. Did pull off 21 mpg pulling a 16' Starcraft fishing boat 700 miles at 70 mph with the bully dog:D

MMeier

Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao Try not to laugh too hard Mikey, I've been getting 22 - 23 mpg every trip hand calculated running empty

I don't think 25 is too unrealistic....... 30, now I agree that's pushing it.

Sorry, would have to see it first hand.:rolleyes: Maybe a 95-98 12 V would get close to 25 under the right conditions, but a 3 rd gen.... NO WAY!!! My old '97 had gotten 23.5 several times, usually back east with no hills, no cross/ head winds, etc. My '03 ( with almost 200k on it) could not get that running downhill, now or when it was stock! And at a $1 / mile, why are you running 57-63 MPH?? :confused:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, would have to see it first hand.:rolleyes: Maybe a 95-98 12 V would get close to 25 under the right conditions, but a 3 rd gen.... NO WAY!!! My old '97 had gotten 23.5 several times, usually back east with no hills, no cross/ head winds, etc. My '03 ( with almost 200k on it) could not get that running downhill, now or when it was stock! And at a $1 / mile, why are you running 57-63 MPH?? :confused:

OK......Meet me in Kenmare, ND on saturday where I will fill up after crossing back over the border and you can ride shotgun back to Wakarusa, IN where I will top off when I get back to the terminal sunday night or monday morning. Bring a big bag of:popcorn It's a looooooooong boring 1100 mile trip.

I run 57 - 63 for a couple reasons.
  1. I don't like fighting traffic and swapping lanes to pass all the time
  2. Fuel economy, peak tq is at 1600 rpm and sweet spot seems to be 1600-1800 rpm. Aerodynamics is the single biggest factor in fuel economy above 50 mph.
  3. I run 10,000 - 14,000 miles a month. Fuel is my single biggest expense, saving just 1 mpg from driving slower loaded and empty puts $80 - $100 more in MY pocket per trip and not big oils pockets... Avg round trip is 3400 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online