Tranny leaking fluid....EVERYWHERE!!!!!

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the luck with trans... but, WOW!

That has got to be one of the cleanest '80s Fords still in existence! Nice find! ;Sweet

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
NICE TRUCK!!
DON'T COVERT A/C TO 134A to help preserve classic value. Why did you change shocks?
Fuel tank has a vent on it that with a rubber hose. Should look like one in the link below. Sometimes bugs build nest in them and they wont vent. Blow out line with air and remove vent and clean and blow out. They are in a rubber grommet and just pull out. Front you can do with bed on and tank in truck, but not the rear. Post pictures of your filler necks and we can help you.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1984-90-Bronco-ll-Gas-Tank-Breather-Valve/productinfo/90259/

toby2tongues

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up on the tank vent, will take a look today.

I am keeping it R12, there is a shop here in town that services R12.

I have always found that any car over 20 years old needs a new set of shocks. when I pulled mine off, the resistance rate, up and down, was very irregular...as expected...put on a new set of shocks and it rides like new again, very noticeable difference, much less bumpy.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up on the tank vent, will take a look today.

I am keeping it R12, there is a shop here in town that services R12.

I have always found that any car over 20 years old needs a new set of shocks. when I pulled mine off, the resistance rate, up and down, was very irregular...as expected...put on a new set of shocks and it rides like new again, very noticeable difference, much less bumpy.

Post some picts of gas necks inside and out.

damedic

Is That Black Smoke
Reaction score
Awesome, Awesome find Toby2, again awesome... Love the OBS. Especially your classic!
Not to hijack the thread, just wanting to comment - I too the other day, had a transmission mis-hap.
Just like OP, fluid everywhere!!! where was it coming from???
Huge puddle when I got back to where it was parked. I just went 1/4 mile to gas station to get a can filled and I noticed a slipping?
Then when I got back to my parking spot at home, that is when I noticed the huge puddle, I couldn't locate it immediately because fluid was dripping from everywhere!
Couldn't even look up without it dripping all over me!
Long story shorter.... tubing came off of metal tube for cooler.
Also... my tank must have the tank vent problem as well! It takes the attendant here in Oregon (we can't fill our own tanks) to hand babysit my filling of both tanks. So... I will be watching what the advice to toby2 will be.
Great forum and great find toby2 and good luck with all you do to your Gem.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Yes I meant Fuel necks! What was I thinking. I'm on night's and I just woke up.

sapo516

Reaction score
Idk if op fixed trans leak but....i had same problem but my problem was Oring on tranny filler tube was dried out...

oring easy to replace remove oil filler tube take old oring off and replace it i believe it is a 5/8 ID oring not sure.

Would fill trans and over night big puddle on ground

sorry hopes this helps