Trailer requirements

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I am in the market for a trailer and was needing a few questions answered.I live in Alabama and we use federal guidelines for CDL requirements.I am wondering what I can tow with my truck.Here is the criteria I am looking at that cannot change

35 foot load-2 race cars end to end

8K-10K load-The cars are 8K give or take and I got a 1991 F350 Crew Cab Dually I plan to haul and it is right at 7500Lbs fully fueled as it sits and I plan on adding a lot more weight in the bed.Goodies!Air tank,Propane tank,Water/methanol tank for injection

Tow rig is a 1994 Crew Cab Dually Diesel with a GVW on the Tag of 8000Lbs but Door sticker is 10K....Hey,8k regular tags here!Cheaper

Want a goose neck since the tow rig already is setup and tired of looking at a useless ball

Got electric Trailer brakes already so that is a plus

Trailer has to have a low departer angle so we don't bottom out the cars while loading and unloading(I think it is like 6-8" clearance with 8-10foot wheelbase and a LOOOOONG low nose!)

I might be able to get away with no CDL since I will be nonCommercial since I do not own the race cars.Buddy of mines cars and I will receive no compensation/profit for hauling the cars.

Only time I will be hauling out of state is hauling the hot rod F350 to shows and rallies(also non compensation).

Whit

Reaction score
Check with you local DMV, in Wyo you can have a gvw of 26k on a class C license...........If I remember right?

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
if I'm not mistaken, the 26k is nationwide. CDL for anything 26001 and up.

but I do believe if you got a trailer and are over 9k-ish? you have to have 3 orange triangles, fire extinguisher and health card. but don't quote me on that part...can't remem the exact weight requirement for that...

Bushhog

Reaction score
Freight - Train
To remain non-CDL and out of DOT requirements you must have a GCVW of not more than 26001 lbs. (that's truck and trailer loaded with all you want to haul). Once you go over the 26001# you are under DOT regs. and that is Federal and nation wide.

I'm in TX and the only people who can escape these regs. are farmers running farm tags and they can go as high as 40000# with out CDL. Kickker here is if they get caught hauling other than farm related things it will get real ******* the pocket book.

You mentioned you truck was lic. for 8K not the 10K on the door. This will not help your case since the officer that may stop you sometime can site you for what is most restrictive and you could be found overweight just due to this differance.

I would suggest you pickup a DOT reg book from your DMV because I don't think you can stay under 26001# with all you said you want to haul. You may need a class B CDL.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
yup, the magic number is 26001. you're at 26001 and up, you need cdl 26000 and below, just health card, ext. and triangles.

the big thing is tho, make sure your truck is tagged for 26000, and don't weigh more than what you're tagged for.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another magic number is any trailer over 10,000 lbs requires a class A CDL.

Also, check to make sure your hitch has enough tongue weight capacity. M/C enforcement dings a lot of guys on tongue weight.

BJS

Reaction score
you're safe for the 26k number if you allow 4k for the trailer and 10k for the 2 cars or the truck gives you a 14k trailer which as duke pointed out puts you into CDL territory the only exemption to that weight is recreational vehicles So you're into CDL territory from what's been posted here.

I'll check w/ my aunt who works in the tag office in Randolf county if she can get her hands on a DMV reg book I can browse through to see what I can figure out for you.