tractor hydraulic fluid for steering fluid?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have a pile of universal 10w20 universal tractor hydraulic /transmission fluid laying around and just happen to need to completely fill my new hydroboost installation . The ford type F fluid is 10wt transmission/hydraulic fluid. Any reason why this stuff shouldn't work?
Thanks--------Robert

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
alot of off road guys run the amsoil UTF in their power steering, seems to work for them. lol

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
alot of off road guys run the amsoil UTF in their power steering, seems to work for them. lol

in amsoil the correct steering fluid would be teh supershift fluid, not the universal transmistion fluid. With the synthetic , it wouldn't hurt anything, but they'd have better results with the proper match.

I just found teh answer to my own question after some digging. Tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid has friction modifiers in it and type f doesnt so that would be a no . In a non synthetic fluid there just isn't the overkill in protection to compensate

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My good friend and Fellow IDI owner,Dan, He has 4 of them, says it works great in the power steering and the zf5 and c6 .

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guilty of having used HyTrans fluid that we run in our IH tractors in my power steering. In the past, anyway.

I've never noticed any poor results, or failed steering pumps, but I could have just been lucky since they were all pretty old units.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I actually spring for the real stuff, and run synthetic in what I can.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There's a good chance I'd just throw it in there, but I just bought a new red head steering box to the tune of some serious $$$ and I don't want to void a warranty so unless they say otherwise, I'm going with the spec in my manual. I was just hoping it would match the spec, but it appears not to, although the reasoning for usage of type F is rather unclear as that would be the favourable fluid for the ford transmission, but I can't see it providing an advantage in a steering box, I would think a hydraulic fluid with friction modifiers would be benificial.

I will be changing it over to Amsoil after a while, but I got the hydroboost unit I just installed at a boneyard and want to run it a bit on some regular fluid and check for leaks, then flush it out and put in the good stuff ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Update, I've had a few delays and had;t filled it yet so since monday has rolled around, I called and spoke to the owner of Redhead steering gears today and he's fine with the universal tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid ;Sweet
So in it goes

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In essence, the steering system is a hydraulic system, real hydraulic fluid should work quite well.
Personally I've used everything from 80W90 to J13 and pretty much everything in between in my idi, even chain oil... Between leaking steering boxes and blown lines It's probably had manual steering more than it's had power in the last 5 years...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online