Towing with an 89 F-150?

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
I've been asking around and looking for a tow rig. I've been on the hunt for anything 3/4 or 1 ton that could be had for cheap, and I mean ANYTHING. I've even considered a truck or two in the junkyard that need work. I finally stepped back and started to wonder if I truely need a 3/4 or 1 ton to suit my needs, which led me to start considering my old 89 F-150, with a 5.8 (about 30,000 miles on a rebuild), C6, 3.55 gears, 100,000 miles, and pretty much stock everything.

I was wondering if it could be considered a safe tow rig. I don't have the truck around me to find out the GCVWR of it, so I don't know what it is supposed to be able to handle. The heaviest load that will be on it would be my 5,000 lb Jeep, and IIRC the F-150 and one of our trailers weighed in at about 7,000 lbs. That puts it at 12,000 lbs total. Does anyone know off hand what the GCVWR of an F-150 from around that year may be?

I was thinking that if the truck can (legally) take that load, then I could buy it back from my dad (I traded it for his Blazer to take to college) and do some upgrades to make it much more towing friendly. Like add a trailer brake controller, a tougher hitch than what it has, a truss on the rear axle, load helping airbags, a few light performance mods, and some heavier load range tires (maybe some new wheels too), as well as replace anything that might be getting worn out on it (brakes, shocks, tranny rebuild, etc.).

I was planning on eventually buying the truck back anyways because it has a little sentimental value to me. Am I nuts for wanting to try it? I'd rather get told that it's unsafe / illegal by you guys than a cop having a bad day:oops: . I know that it generally seems like most people shun the idea of towing with a 1/2 ton, but I'd like to get some facts straight. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, this truck has only towed my Jeep once before. My dad was driving and it was a 2-1/2 hour trip. I wasn't with him to see first hand, but he said that it did well.
You must be registered for see images attach

It normally hauls cattle.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks in advance for any help given.:cheers:

fellro86

Reaction score
For simple loads like that, it should be fine. I have hauled many miles with half tons and a single open car trailer. Overload springs would be a good investment though.

funcruise

Reaction score
I have hauled a three horse gn trailer for a lot of years and miles with my old 88 Ford half ton and it did not too bad a job.. Was only a 302 engine.. Wore it out though with 300k miles and now have a Dodge with a Cummins. Little better now...You should be ok with your Ford and the loads your going to pull with it....

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While a half-ton might work, I think you'd be better off with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. It helps to have a truck that's heavier. Some of the 80's Ford F250 diesels are going pretty cheap now. That would give you the heavier weight (1000 lb engine) and the fuel economy of a diesel. I had a Chevy 1/2 ton I used to haul manure in, and when I switched over to the F250 Ford diesel, I noticed a big improvement in stopping distance, stability and carrying capacity. I know this is a trailering application, not a hauling application, but I would recommend considering the heavier vehicle.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...and get a truck with 4.10 rear end for your application. I think 3.55's are nice for freeway speeds, but are a bit too tall for towing/hauling.

Last edited:

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take this with a grain of salt, but I think you would be fine towing what you need to with your half ton, I have a 95 f150 and I have towed my diesel behind it (once) and it did really well, Not sure what engine you have but mine is a 5.8 e40d 3.55 gears. Plus a properly loaded trailer will make all the differance in the world. Just my 2 pennies.:dunno

RampageFSJ

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I've decided that I'm going to do the required mods to make it a decent tow rig and use it untill I find a good truck that can haul 2, maybe even 3 rigs over longer distances. Preferrably diesel with a manual overdrive tranny.

My list of mods include:
Tranny cooler and flush the tranny, do any needed maintenance

Higher load range tires, this may require going to 16" rims

Trailer brake controller

A few performance mods I was going to do anyways (headers and exhaust, cold air intake, ignition, etc.)

A load assist of some sorts, I think I'll go with a Timbren suspension enhancement system.

A better frame mounted hitch than what it has

Replace all or most of the braking system with new or upgraded stuff

Depending on how the first few trips go, maybe a swaybar in the rear. It doesn't have any but it has allways been really stable:dunno

Anything else I should cover?

I mentioned it in the first post, but it has a 5.8, C6, 8.8 with 3.55's, and it's pretty much stock as far as I know.

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i towed 7 and change with an 89 strait 6 308 gears 5 spd it didn't like the hills :] thats why i have an idi