Towing Question

BMSteiner

Reaction score
Howdy

This is my first post to the forums. I just purchased a '02 250 SD CC with the 7.3. I had a '94 Chevy with the 6.5 TD that was a little shy on power pulling the 5er - especially into a headwind. The 5th wheel is a 24.5' weighing in around 4000 lbs.

Since I haven't towed with the PS yet I was wondering how the T/C unlocking/locking would be in the mix. Everyone has stated it was ok to tow in OD as long as the trany wasn't hunting between 3-OD but what about the TC? My Chevy would unlock the T/C at the drop of a hat (sometimes even just because a bug hit the windshield) but I don't know if the PS will do the same thing. I've ordered the exhaust brake with a manual T/C lockup so I will be able to keep it locked in. Most of the people I've talked to tell me the stroker won't even know that trailer is behind it. The T/C locking/unlocking was causing my Chevy trany to really heat up (up to 220) even if I kept it in 3rd.

A little off the topic but I have to tell someone ... the truck does have a chip in it but lord knows what it is but it has power out the ying-yang. No writing of any kind on the chip. I just got back from it's first solo road trip with it traveling 518km using 69 liters of fuel. That works out to 21.5 mpg (CDN gallon) and I was traveling between 115 and 125 kph. I was tucked in behind semi's over 1/2 the time (at a safe distance of course) because I had a 60kph headwind going (wind died down on the return trip). I am ecstatic over that kind of mileage with a 8000lb truck! In case your wondering I'm Canadian eh!

Bryan

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao

Welcome Bryan, eh?

Your TC shouldnt unlock on the PSD unless you lift your foot off the go pedal, at least I think thats how the SuperDuty's are programmed. I would recommend a pyrometer and a tranny temp gauge since you are chipped. Especially if you are going to be towing frequently.

Roughshod

Reaction score
I'm definietly going to be pulling stuff through the mountains of North Carolina, so it looks like an EGT gauge is definitely in my future. I'm thinking I'll go with an a-pillar gauge pod setup. Probably add a tranny temp gauge too while I'm at it.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I'm definietly going to be pulling stuff through the mountains of North Carolina, so it looks like an EGT gauge is definitely in my future. I'm thinking I'll go with an a-pillar gauge pod setup. Probably add a tranny temp gauge too while I'm at it.

OH YEA Roughshod...WELCOME to OB :cheers:....another Carolina oilburner;Sweet

;Sweet the grades may not be quite as long as out west but they are steep!
and I agree on the pillar pod---3 gauges fill it nicely :hail

as far as the original question about towing in OD....even on flat highway if a bad head wind is making the tranny shuttle between OD/drive....take it out of OD!
This does nothing but hammer the converter wich in turn takes out the pump etc....then it becomes BIG$$$ to fix.

If you want an idea of just how little it takes to shuttle the converter.....while driving a constant speed while in OD....turn on the flahers=4 ways and watch the tach...:eek: that is the torque converter partially unlocking and locking in rythim to the light circutry cookoo Ferd injunieers
Just another reason NOT to use flashers when in driving unless you turn the OD off!

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
at work we have a sorry excuss for a service truck its a 2000 gmc 1/2 w/ a 4.3 v6 auto i was coming back from a road call empty and it wouldn't hold od with a strong head wind doing 80 on the interstate

gunfrk

Reaction score
I haven't towed my current (16,000) in the mountains but my last (14,000) was towed over hill, over dale even on dusty trails in OD.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the reason this taking out of od came into being--on the early idi's--and psd's--with e4od----they would lock and unlock--so you kept them out--but the reason why is because the early tq's didnt have too large a clutch area--and it would smoke the linings in the tq pretty easy--like in less than 1 mile of pulling something with the tq going in and out--had a few of them in this area!!!! and the idea still lingers to this day----

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i know my SD converter acts different than russ' OBS. mine stays locked. it unlocks when speed falls below 40 mph. if i floor it in OD it will downshift into 3rd but the TC stays locked. mine has a Banks Transcommand in it, i dont know if that changes anything.

if i floor it from a stop it shifts like this:

1st goes by quick once the turbo winds up
2nd.. then halfway thru 2nd the TC locks this feels a little weird until you get used to it
bang thats 3rd you feel it push you into the seat. TC still locked
thump into OD

the TC likes to stay locked on mine. if i tow i use OD unless i'm in 45 zone or there are lots of curves and hills then i lock out OD

sassyrel

Reaction score
i know my SD converter acts different than russ' OBS. mine stays locked. it unlocks when speed falls below 40 mph. if i floor it in OD it will downshift into 3rd but the TC stays locked. mine has a Banks Transcommand in it, i dont know if that changes anything.

if i floor it from a stop it shifts like this:

the TC likes to stay locked on mine. if i tow i use OD unless i'm in 45 zone or there are lots of curves and hills then i lock out OD
still shouldnt bother it on yours--but like ritcher69 said--the pre 99 trans coolers were worthless--not near enough cooling--found that out on the 96 pwr--changed it--now no problems!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online