Towing Question

Blk03PSD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

With regard to overdrive and cruise control, is there a rule of thumb one should follow while towing? In the mountains I never use cruise or OD, Just leave it in drive and maybe drop it into 2nd if I need to cool it down on a particularly steep grade. But out in eastern NC where it is relatively flat, is it okay to use OD and / or cruise control?

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Yup, only reason to lock out overdrive is if the tranny is hunting back and fourth between 3rd and 4th. If it holds in OD, leave it be and save the fuel.

Adrianspeeder

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, only reason to lock out overdrive is if the tranny is hunting back and fourth between 3rd and 4th. If it holds in OD, leave it be and save the fuel.

Adrianspeeder
winner winner chicken dinner.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10-4!

I don't know that I have ever seen such a unanimous response to a post!

Thank you
ehhh, if you ask around you'll find out that some people think we are "one minded" here. :D

Roughshod

Reaction score
Okay, to belabor the obvious in a very newbish fashion, this advise seems to apply to an auto tranny. I'm about to buy a '97 F-350 with a 5 speed, and of course in a 5 speed fifth gear is actually an O.D. Clearly there will be no gear hunting with the manual, so is it still okay to tow with it in fifth gear? I've never done any towing with a manual, but I've always heard that you're not supposed to tow in O.D.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Okay, to belabor the obvious in a very newbish fashion, this advise seems to apply to an auto tranny. I'm about to buy a '97 F-350 with a 5 speed, and of course in a 5 speed fifth gear is actually an O.D. Clearly there will be no gear hunting with the manual, so is it still okay to tow with it in fifth gear? I've never done any towing with a manual, but I've always heard that you're not supposed to tow in O.D.

No problems with towing in 5th, HAPPY TOWING :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no problems towing in 5th, just dont lug it as it will cause excessive EGT's. 97 F-350 will have 4:10's in the rear so pulling hills you should try to keep your RPM's over 2000 minimum, she'll pull like a bandit if you keep them in the + 2500 RPM range. Remember the pre superduty PSD's arent intercooled. Get a pyro to stay safe.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that would be a temp gauge for the exhaust? Seems like a good idea.
Yes, a pyrometer monitors the exhaust gas temps (commonly referred to as EGT's) and lets you know when to pull out of the throttle. Can be mounted pre-turbo in one of the exhaust manifolds or post turbo in the turbo outlet down pipe. The more accurate readings will be pre-turbo. Thats where the 1250° figures comes from, if you mount post turbo then conservative numbers are 950°.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Overdrive is nothing more than just another gear so it won't hurt them one bit (auto or manual) to pull in those gears. Just as stated don't lug it down, like Nick said if it still have some get up and go to it then it isn't lugging.

I second getting the pyrometer for when pulling a larger load up a grade because on the steeper hills where it will require more go pedal to keep speed the temps on the exhaust can get out of hand quickly. The 1250 degrees is a safe max so don't think you can't finish the pull at 1250 just don't hang out there all day or go above it for long periods if you want the engine to hang together for many many moons.