tow pig let me down tonite

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
the lift is rated for 25,000lbs. the boom is rated for 35 ton deadlift.
sending that bigboy out is a slight case of overkill, must be a buddy of yours.

Could you imagine trying to back that pickup into a garage with that big ass truck? It would be like trying to back up a lil' red wagon with an F350 lol

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump is in the right spot, filter before the pump may be clogged or pump may be gone but towcat is right, it shure sounds like fuel starvation

Mine will do this if I let it get down to about 1/8 tank or so, I just keep my foot in it and dont let it die. When it died, you shouldve popped the clutch if you were still rolling and I bet it wouldv'e started right up.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will do this if I let it get down to about 1/8 tank or so, I just keep my foot in it and dont let it die. When it died, you shouldve popped the clutch if you were still rolling and I bet it wouldv'e started right up.

i was at 3/4 tank and about 50mph, i did let the clutch out, ended up with one nasty smell:eek: that might be the new problem after i get it fixed.

tomorrow in the am i will take a look and see what i can figure. mebby a new fuel pump and crossed fingers. i have a 3 hour drive to my company xmas party tomorrow so i will only have a couple of hours to look. i was hoping to take the pig because it is actually cheaper on fuel than my 02 expedition:mad:

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I have had your issue a couple times with my 94. I simply back flushed the system with shop air. I suspect some large pieces of rust or other trash cloged either the pick up tube or the selector valve. Be sure to remove fuel tank caps first.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a 550 wheel lift tow mine when the starter went out on me that was a trip

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
i had a 550 wheel lift tow mine when the starter went out on me that was a trip

Shoulda seen mine... late 90s 2500 Chevy reg cab towed my 02 Ram when I broke the output shaft a couple years back:eek:
I was not real happy to say the least. I am pretty sure the front wheels left the ground more than once on that ride home.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your situation sounds very much like fuel starvation.

well apparently the fuel gage went bad and i had a half gallon in the rear tank and it wouldn't continually suck it out. tank is full now and no more problems yet.

the hard to start in the cold was the bio diesel must have been gelling up.

all better now:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well apparently the fuel gage went bad and i had a half gallon in the rear tank and it wouldn't continually suck it out. tank is full now and no more problems yet.

the hard to start in the cold was the bio diesel must have been gelling up.

all better now:D
sounds like you owe the tow pig an apology;Sweet
drive by odo on these trucks. forget the sender. they're plated and the fuel eats plating like candy.:eek:
the fuel pickup foot fell off inside the rear tank on my truck. I get 150 miles on the rear before it starts to sputter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad youfound out whats wrong and it didn't cost you a thing to fix... Yet... I also drive by the odometer on both of my tanks... I have harpooned both tanks and installed hoses on the pickups. My rear tank just filled up and took 16 gallons...:eek: Thats a 17.2 gallon tank so I guess I got all I was going to get out of that tank... Nope... Didn't catch how many miles I got... It was both freeways and city street driving...:dunno

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
At least it was a dignified tow. It could have been a Dodge. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the hijack, but I had to interject this little tidbit...

I had to pull a Dodge out of the ditch today.... He was plowing snow and got the truck sideways....

Best part is, that I used my Explorer to pull him out! :rotflmao

Edit: At the time, we had 14.5" of snow. It's now 6:12pm and we have 20.5"!