Tow and Haul RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not get rid of the fan clutch all together and go electric?

I'm seriously thinking about it but even the 5500 cfm electric fans warn to not use them alone for GCWR over 18,000 and I am usually around 22 - 23k. I don't need to be guessing on this one in the summer and find I'm wrong pulling a long grade in the desert of southern California

Trust me, the factory fan moves a lot of air. So much air that it's deafening in the cab when it's on.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonk, what did you use to seal the front cover back up? Figured you put on around 6k miles in that time, not too far off !! :thumbsup:

Yep, I ain't goofing off on the road. Overall I'm quite pleased with the power and overall performance of the truck.

New correct factory gasket from Cummins. Cover actually is just loosely held in place right now to keep dirt out until I get another new crank seal so I can pop it off and replace the speedy sleeve.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Trust me, the factory fan moves a lot of air. So much air that it's deafening in the cab when it's on.

i dont doubt it one bit. was just thinkin multiple large electric ones could do the same job. didnt know they didnt recommend them over a certian gvw..

learn somethin new everyday!;Sweet

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont doubt it one bit. was just thinkin multiple large electric ones could do the same job. didnt know they didnt recommend them over a certian gvw..

learn somethin new everyday!;Sweet

You should see the set up on a rear engine bus. There were some w/ the 5.9 on a 72 passenger school bus and those fans really pull air. You can hear it when those kick in.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Mike, Sorry to hear about the problems but glad to see it working & making coin. If I'd have been keeping up with the thread I coulda come down & repaid the favor. I'm almost dead with work right now but we have been running to Kenly on & off. How much more you got to do to get it back on the road?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scott, great to see ya surviving this mess so far.

I'm nowhere as knee deep into the engine or expense as you were...thank god:hail

Only about 4 - 5 hrs worth of work to do to button up the engine and slap the front clip back on once I finally get the right front seal, fan clutch and fan in my hands:backoff Other than that I have a little metal fab on the ramps to do and have to lengthen my winch remote cord to make things easier on me when loading and unloading... Hopefully be ready to put back into revenue service by wednesday.

May have to run back to Kenly today or tomorrow to Cummins for the crank seal.

P.S. If ya keep that Pete out of the Chrome shop at the TA you'ld make more money:D

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Winch control cable? Ditch it! Get the remote set up and live the easy life.

My race trailer has winch in it(4500# SW, use it everytime to load car) and I used to have the cord. After numerous times of getting it caught under a tire/etc I bought the Superwinch remote set up. Sweet! Stand anywhere and work the winch. Well worth it in my book. Had it 7-8yrs now and haven't even put a battery in the remote yet.

Seems the new version has two remote? Mine was one, and only like $100 back when.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SPW-06702&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Just a thought.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winch control cable? Ditch it! Get the remote set up and live the easy life.

My race trailer has winch in it(4500# SW, use it everytime to load car) and I used to have the cord. After numerous times of getting it caught under a tire/etc I bought the Superwinch remote set up. Sweet! Stand anywhere and work the winch. Well worth it in my book. Had it 7-8yrs now and haven't even put a battery in the remote yet.

Seems the new version has two remote? Mine was one, and only like $100 back when.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SPW-06702&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Just a thought.

Yep eventually will get another, I can make due with what I have now as it's time to work it and not wait on any more parts.... or spend more $$$ than this oil leak and fan clutch have already cost me.

I had a wireless remote for this winch when I bought it. PO must have fried it as he routed the wiring for the remote next to the winch cable DUH.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the right parts finally..... Which of course lightened my wallet another 500 bones as the correct parts naturally cost more than the wrong ones did...... Oh yea, I'm just thrilled about that.

On a good note my dispatcher called me up wanting to know how fast I could get up and going because they want me back on those trailers going to Salt Lake so hopefully I'll be back on the road Wednesday and pick them up on Thursday.

All that's left to do up front is change the oil, pour in the coolant and slap the hood back on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Man, you really worked your a@@ of getting it back together! ;Sweet
Looking good too. Hopefully this will be the last bug you have to squash with it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine done, oil changed, road tested, no leaks and ready to work.

Changed out the sloppy drag link too.

As soon as I finish lunch I have a few minor modifications to make to the bed and ramps to make things much easier for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin