Tow and Haul RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the shake down run came to an early end as I managed to coat 2 trailers in oil on my last trip which cost me $169 to clean.

I knew I had an oil leak but it was manageable. I put it in the shop last week to locate it and they quoted me $2100 and 2 - 3 days to repair so I decided to make a few more runs during our busiest month since last July before putting it in the shop.

Well she only made one last run. My oil leak turned to a gusher blowing out 3 gallons of oil in the last few miles. Oil was coming from the between the timing cover and the engine block. Limped home after delivery and my fan clutch froze up. Started ordering parts over the phone and picked them up on the way home from NY.

Now for open heart surgery on a Cummins...... Looks more like I ripped her heart out...... actually I did.

Front completely off truck and engine torn down to remove camshaft to get the timing gear housing off. Radiator core support, radiator, intercooler and expansion tank were removed as one assembly.
You must be registered for see images attach

1/2" wood dowels jammed into lifters to hold them off the camshaft and keep them from falling into the oil pan.

Valvetrain kept in order so it can be put back on exactly where it was.

The heart of the beast..... This is the camshaft for the "mechanically challenged"

I also managed to set the AC condensor off to one side and not have to evacuate the system and remove it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonka-
anytime you can limp her home makes for a good run;Sweet
I was just arguing with a friend's kid who just go into the towing biz. he refuses to get his hands dirty in fixing his own truck. I told him that he has no intention in staying in business for more than a year.cookoocookoocookoo:dunno:dunno

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tonka-
anytime you can limp her home makes for a good run;Sweet
I was just arguing with a friend's kid who just go into the towing biz. he refuses to get his hands dirty in fixing his own truck. I told him that he has no intention in staying in business for more than a year.cookoocookoocookoo:dunno:dunno

:rotflmao Trucking isn't about how much $$$ you make, it's about how much $$$ you keep. He better always have a brand spanking new truck under warranty and plan to sit a week or 2 when it needs work done...... after waiting a few hours for you to tow him in.LOL

The shop I took it too had a decent labor rate of $74 hr and was nice enough to sqeeze me in right away for what we both thought was going to be a $250, couple hr fix to R&R the front crank seal which is quite acceptable to keep the rig on the road making money. When they dye showed we were wrong it turned into a 24 hr labor $2100 job they couldn't do for a week which is why I decided to keep running, unfortunatly it didn't go as planned.

Seeing as it would be wednesday before they would finish it I might as well do it at home and take care of other things I need to do too like the fan clutch, drag link and some improvements to the bed and cab interior.

I've spent only $800 so far for the new revised timing cover and dowel that cures the killer dowel pin syndrome, a fan clutch, a drag link, oil and filters and other misc items.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ok so there is build pics...pics with it halfway on a lift....and now pics of it broken....where the heck are the pics of it sitting in a parking lot loaded?????

very cool and very clean build BTW!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so there is build pics...pics with it halfway on a lift....and now pics of it broken....where the heck are the pics of it sitting in a parking lot loaded?????

very cool and very clean build BTW!!!

You evidently skipped a few pages. Go back to Page 24 post #355 and you'll see her maiden voyage.

And this one is the straw that broke the Camels back. Two 26 footers (actual length is 30' and height was 11' on these). I have one of the only trucks that can carry a unit this long and tall on the bed. These identical units were on the dispatch board for single tow behind a pickup when I asked for them as they were going to the same dealer. Units this size are not held for "haul & tow" trucks like mine.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Mike sorry to hear about the problems. Glad you got it back home though. I have a towing question for ya. Is it just me or do the "towed" trailers run nose low. Do you do this for a reason?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike sorry to hear about the problems. Glad you got it back home though. I have a towing question for ya. Is it just me or do the "towed" trailers run nose low. Do you do this for a reason?

Nose down handles better, I run the same hitch height I did on my dually, about 20" to top of ball but don't use the WD bars on this truck as it can break the tounges off of them..... we've already had one driver prove that.:eek: The 19' trailers I hauled just before these last 2 were nose high.

Hook it and run as long as it ain't scraping the pavement it's good..... one size fits all.

MMeier

Reaction score
Man, this has to suck the big one!! How many miles did you run this first 2 weeks?

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the issues......

Reminds me of the first year we bought the grape harvester. We dumped a re-man engine and tranny into it right after we bought it- I didn't trust the engine though it ran & the tranny was smelling bad (old select-o-speed tranny for a older Ford tractor). Cost more then what we valued the machine, but less then what we paid for the entire set up of equipment. But runs like a champ and plenty of power now. ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Nose down handles better, I run the same hitch height I did on my dually, about 20" to top of ball but don't use the WD bars on this truck as it can break the tounges off of them..... we've already had one driver prove that.:eek: The 19' trailers I hauled just before these last 2 were nose high.

Hook it and run as long as it ain't scraping the pavement it's good..... one size fits all.

I can see you've had your taste of hauling them both ways :D That nose up will really make the tail wag the dog :eek:
That sucks about the leaks and all, but its great that it made it back to the barn instead of running up a bill in someone elses shop along with a motel bill

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, this has to suck the big one!! How many miles did you run this first 2 weeks?

About 7000 miles. 3880 miles loaded. The truck didn't sit around.

Stuffed her guts back in and did get it to fire up no problem. I pooched a $30 timing cover seal trying to install it and will have to wait until monday or tuesday to button it up. Upon closer inspection it looks like a speedy sleeve has already been installed on the crankshaft and the seal I had was for a crank that doesn't have this.

Also the fan clutch Ford ordered is the wrong one.. Not even close. Called on it and they said there was a change that requires me to buy a new "upgraded $300 fan as you can't get the old fan clutch and the new one I got is wrong for the conversion so they will have to order another one that costs $70 more than the one they got me...... I just love getting kicked in the teeth.

If this happens again I will be swapping ALL of the Ford pullies, alternator, PS pumps and AC to Dodge 3/4 ton or freightliner FL50/60 parts.

Parts guy said parts will be hard to get for the "old" F800 trucks as they are geared for the F650.... I told him that if it's this much of a PITA to get common parts for an F800 do you think I'd even consider buying an F650.

MMeier

Reaction score
Tonk, what did you use to seal the front cover back up? Figured you put on around 6k miles in that time, not too far off !! :thumbsup: