Total truck rebuild what would it cost

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
you should get Darrin looking for you. you could build a sweet truck on that budget

I'm on it!.. ;Sweet

Gary I know what you are thinking, and I agree with you. It is easier to start with a solid rust free truck, and replace mechanicals as needed, instead of restoring a rust belt truck. Unless you have a Napa Connection.

I spent 3 years looking for the "right" truck before buyng Big Ed out of Southern CA. and would do it again. In the mean time I had the 87 F250 that was a one owner local truck that had been all redone and kept up. When I sold it to pay for Big Ed, It was starting to bubble again in all of the typical spots, but still looked good.

One other thing to remember is that there will be a lot of things that you wont "need" to do, For instance, my truck has over 300K on it, the motor has been replaced at one time with a used one, and I replaced the tranny last year, but the T-Case, front and rear end's haven't been touched, that I know of. I did back brakes last year and did the outside bearings just because we were there. I did change all of the oil when I got the truck, but that driveline stuff will last a long time befor ever needing to be "rebuilt".

It will also depend on how the truck has been taken care of as do what you will need to spend money on. You might be able to find a truck that has had a lot of stuff done to it, New turbo, Rust free body, paint job, 6" lift etc,..but just blew a motor. Sounds familiar hu,..? Scotty... and pick up the truck for a good price.

It will take a while to find what you are looking for but for now you have a great driver untill the right one comes along. Take your time, you will know when it is the right truck.

Darrin

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in Darrin. Your story with Big Ed is what I'm looking to do. Now how to get a 8,000lb truck from CA to PA cheeply?????

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
GRuss said:
Thanks for chiming in Darrin. Your story with Big Ed is what I'm looking to do. Now how to get a 8,000lb truck from CA to PA cheeply?????

Boob freight! :D

There are enough of us here in the right places to make that happen. That would actually be a fun relay for us all to run... ;Sweet

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
russ i'm driving to San Francisco in April to deliver a truckload of furniture/hierlooms to a family member. i'm planning on flying back, but you might be able to talk me into driving your new truck back for the cost of fuel and hotels

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Now how to get a 8,000lb truck from CA to PA cheeply?????

When I was considering buying Scottys truck I looked into shipping, and it would have cost me just under $1,000.00 for shipping.

I will bet Rob's idea would be a little cheaper! ;Sweet

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a 1000 bucks is pretty much the going rate. I have gotten about 30 replys from shippers and 1000 bucks should get it to you. Good luck finding a truck. Sounds like a great project. Scotty

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Boob freight!

There are enough of us here in the right places to make that happen. That would actually be a fun relay for us all to run...
And have all of you guys violate my new truck BEFORE I do????? LOL

$1000 isn't really that bad concidering it's about 3000 miles

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
GRuss said:
And have all of you guys violate my new truck BEFORE I do????? LOL

Ya, we could take videos along the way of all the crazy **** we did with your truck in transport…. :rotflmao :rotflmao
And get Darrin's Son to Make a DVD out of it. :D

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hey,I got some dixie horns if you wanna really make it "Authentic looking" if you know what I mean.I'll buy a copy of this video in a heart beat!hmmmm,You will have to route it though Indiana and let a certain someone drive it for a leg....(where is our Evil smiley?!?!?Need it here).

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever seen the movie "Vanishing Point"? :eek:
hint...its a 70's cult film.
has to do with a guy who works as a cross country driver for a driveaway service :Sly

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
towcat said:
Ever seen the movie "Vanishing Point"? :eek:
hint...its a 70's cult film.
has to do with a guy who works as a cross country driver for a driveaway service :Sly
What was that a couple of D9's he ran into? Oh the humanity!!! :rotflmao

92 F-350CC

Reaction score
Come out west and buy a rust free chassis. I bought a 92 f-350 CC 4x4 that ran for 2500. The motor was running fine, but had the black death in the coolant. Sleeved all 8 cylinders, put in some forged pistons, now all I need is a turbo! BTW you guys have been an invaluable source for great technical information. Keep it up! John ;Sweet