Torque wrench suggestions?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree to a point. If you do a little research and digging before buying, you'd be surprised how much is actually made here entirely. That bs line of "everything is made overseas" is so ******* tiring to hear. If people would actually take ten minutes of their time to find info instead of just saying oh well I'll just buy junk, then there would be way more choices. It's the **** tool's that drive out the quality ones, and the lazy/cheap people who buy them.

Wright tools are made in Barberton, OH

Proto tools are forged and built in Dallas, TX and Cheraw, SC

SK tools are forged in Colorado Springs, CO

Williams is now a Snap On industrial brand and most (not all) of there tools are made here, not sure where yet, still gotta find out

CDI torque wrenches (Snap On) are built in City of Indusrty, CA

Channellock tools are made in Meadville, PA

Snap On makes tools in Milwaukee, Wi, Elizabethton, Tn, Murphy, NC

Mac tool boxes are made in Georgetown, Oh, and the US tools are made by Proto in Dallas. The rest are made by Stanley....from everywhere

Matco makes their own toolboxes in Jamestown, Ny, but NONE of their own tools, they are rebranded imports.

Cornwell is forged in Albion, PA and machined in Mogadore, OH

Mechanics time saver socket rails/wrench holders are made in the US, based in Dallas but I'm not sure if that's where they are actually manufactured or not.

That's just a start, take your time when buying something, try to keep your money here. And buy American you cheap ********!! lol

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's what I had heard, that they sold out earlier this year.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Link? Or did your brothers wifes babysitters dog walker tell you that? lol
And I am serious, if you have proof of that I'd like to know....I want to know where my money goes. If you don't actually know that's true, that's exactly what I was getting at....just heard it but assume it's true so might as well go to HF...
(not trying to pick on you or anything, but that's how it starts)

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here, seem's exactly the opposite is true...

After nearly 90 years in business and a number of different owners over the years, the iconic SK Hand Tools declared bankruptcy in June 2010. Of five bidders, four were in Asia and were interested in purchasing only SK’s customer list and brand, and would have shifted production offshore. But a fifth company, Ideal Industries, stepped in and has not only kept the company American-owned but has vowed to produce only American-made tools.

Before buying SK, Ideal had bought two other American tool companies, Sedlacek said. Ideal, a family-owned company best known for its product category-leading wire nuts used in electrical wiring, bought Western Forge, a Colorado Springs, Colo., manufacturer of forged tools for 32 national U.S. brands, and Pratt-Read, which makes screwdrivers for SK and other brands, he said.

SK’s factory buildings in Ohio and Chicago were not part of the sale, and by January 2011, the company was back to producing tools in its new 130,000-square-foot manufacturing and distribution facility in Sycamore, Ill. and at Western Forge. The company now has nearly 3,000 products in its lineup and is continually revamping it through newer equipment and manufacturing processes, Sedlacek said.

http://www.partsandpeople.com/sk-hand-tool’s-new-owner-commits-us-made-product-lineup

http://www.successfuldealer.com/sk-...ls-manufactured-in-new-production-facilities/

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot Klein tools forged in Moran, KS and now Mansfield, TX

And Pratt-Read Shelton, CT

Bondhus tools Monticello, MN

Kodiak cutting tools Syracuse, NY

Armstrong tools Sumter, SC (I'm going to have to check at NAPA, I'm almost positive I picked one up and it said Taiwan, but it could have been a NAPA brand pot metal wrench)

Estwing Rockford, IL

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
HF, aka Pittsburg(h) tools are made in Taiwan, hence the quality (they make great replacement body panels too) and the much lower price point.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm... Interesting! I guess the article was about a different brand. Idk and I can't find it again.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, took all of six minutes to find out that information.....the internet is a beautiful thing lol.

I'm sure Hu Flung Dung need's a new roof for his shanty tho, might as well go to HF :frustrate

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's why I said I heard that. But didn't mention it in my other post. Lol
They claim U.S. only.
Also U.S. made: Williams, Armstrong, wright, and the above mentioned IDEAL.
Apparently IDEAL was actually a good thing for SK, as they used to have some Asian based tools in the lineup. But Ideal axed that.
So good to know that SK is in fact staying U.S. made.

Now snap-on on the other hand, has many tools that are foreign based. Iirc, the catalog states the tools origin.

Oh yeah, the reason I didn't originally mention the foreign SK thing, same dude tried arguing with me saying that snap-on bought craftsman. Lol
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I don't like snap on is because I think they are not worth the price.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I don't like snap on is because I think they are not worth the price.

Definitely on some of it, air tool's being a big one for me, but there's a lot of thing's I just wont screw around with on other brand's, the aggravation just isn't worth it to me. Plus I can call a Snap On dealer and have them come to me, the fact that they will come to a construction site in the middle of nowhere and dodge scraper's and dozer's so I don't have to leave work to buy or warranty tool's is a huge plus.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely on some of it, air tool's being a big one for me, but there's a lot of thing's I just wont screw around with on other brand's, the aggravation just isn't worth it to me. Plus I can call a Snap On dealer and have them come to me, the fact that they will come to a construction site in the middle of nowhere and dodge scraper's and dozer's so I don't have to leave work to buy or warranty tool's is a huge plus.
A very good point.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think HF tools are better than some of those bigger brands. Just bought a new craftsman "industrial use" 1/2 socket set a little while back for work and it's all junk. Socket wrench is already fallin apart. And it wasn't cheap

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think HF tools are better than some of those bigger brands. Just bought a new craftsman "industrial use" 1/2 socket set a little while back for work and it's all junk. Socket wrench is already fallin apart. And it wasn't cheap
I love my HF ratchets and sockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svttim

Members online