Torque wrench suggestions?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang!
It seems that my 30 year old Proto torque wrench has given up the ghost. I've just about got all the parts together for my turbo install so now I'm doing a tool check. If I were to have one general purpose torque wrench for the idi application, what range of ft. Lbs. would you suggest? What brand? I'm hoping to get it via Amazon prime so I don't have to wait long or go chasing down the Snap on or Matco truck. Many thanks...

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all are gonna laugh at me... But I got a 3/8" drive and a 1/2" drive from harbor freight just out of curiosity. I had a buddy that worked in the calibration lab on base and I asked him to check them for me. He did and said they were spot on. So, me being me, I decided to step up the game a bit. I literally went outside and started throwing them. Lol. Threw them each about 3 times, went back in and he tested them, both were still within spec and passed the test. I still have my Mac torquer and no also have 2 pretty dinged up cheapies lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Hi Gang!
It seems that my 30 year old Proto torque wrench has given up the ghost. I've just about got all the parts together for my turbo install so now I'm doing a tool check. If I were to have one general purpose torque wrench for the idi application, what range of ft. Lbs. would you suggest? What brand? I'm hoping to get it via Amazon prime so I don't have to wait long or go chasing down the Snap on or Matco truck. Many thanks...

I'd get it repaired and re-calibrated.
If that didn't work, I'd buy another Proto.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J6014C-Ratcheting-Micrometer-50-250-Feet/dp/B001QFG81S
227 with prime

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ratchet on the old one is broken as well. So I'd need to repair it as well as recalibration and I need it now. I know, **** poor planning. In any case, with all the $$$$ I've been spending on the truck $227 is a lot of scratch right now, the till is getting low. I haven't looked over all the torque specs, but don't I need one that will go below 50ft lbs?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm in the China freight boat here too. Had a 3/8" and two 1/2" drives. One 1/2" disappeared, I broke the 3/8" by drastically exceeding the max torque rating installing wheel spacers on Bruiser (1/2" was 100 miles away at the time and couldn't get SRW wheels seated on the C&C dually axle without the spacers), and the other 1/2" is still here and just fine. Also got a cheapie dial torque wrench from Menards during a promo (I like being able to visually see the torque sometimes). Oh, and a cheap 1/4" dial torque wrench from autozone in inch pounds that I got specifically for the front wheel bearings. I don't live near a HF store anymore.

All work just fine.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html
$20? That's crazy! I've always been a top of the rack tool guy. Proto, Snap on, Hazet, etc. But you guys are making me reconsider. Nearest HF is a hour away. I could have three wrenches, fuel and nice lunch with my wife for a buck fifty! I'm looking hard to find the time to take a half day for the trip. I wish that amazon had something similar for even 50% more, I'm so crunched for the time...

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html
$20? That's crazy! I've always been a top of the rack tool guy. Proto, Snap on, Hazet, etc. But you guys are making me reconsider. Nearest HF is a hour away. I could have three wrenches, fuel and nice lunch with my wife for a buck fifty! I'm looking hard to find the time to take a half day for the trip. I wish that amazon had something similar for even 50% more, I'm so crunched for the time...
I'm the same way... Although I don't really care for snap on... But man I gotta say, within the last few years I have learned that if you do your homework on the particular tool you are looking for, 9 times out of 10 you can get the same tool made by the same overhead company for a fraction of the cost. Example: snap on deep well impact sockets are typically made with 4130 cromoly or similar. They have "CMY" stamped on them indicating this. Go to harbor freight, look at what is stamped on their deep well impact sockets and it will say the same exact thing.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd get it repaired and re-calibrated.

Threadjacking here, I got a 1/2 Proto from my Grandfathers tools when he passed and have always wanted to get it calibrated but I don't have any idea where to start? Any suggestions? It works but I won't really trust it until it's calibrated.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Threadjacking here, I got a 1/2 Proto from my Grandfathers tools when he passed and have always wanted to get it calibrated but I don't have any idea where to start? Any suggestions? It works but I won't really trust it until it's calibrated.
Man if you had asked me that about a year ago I woulda hooked you up. Now all I can say is Google. Usually cities with decent sized airports or even railroad stations will have a local cal lab that gets contracted for their tools but will also do walk ins and such.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man if you had asked me that about a year ago I woulda hooked you up. Now all I can say is Google. Usually cities with decent sized airports or even railroad stations will have a local cal lab that gets contracted for their tools but will also do walk ins and such.

I'm only an hour from two cities with both so maybe I can do some digging. Thanks!

The weird thing is the guy in house at work who I would expect to know who would do it didn't really have a clue.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only an hour from two cities with both so maybe I can do some digging. Thanks!

The weird thing is the guy in house at work who I would expect to know who would do it didn't really have a clue.
Ha! Typical....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online