Torque Converters

RenoF250

Reaction score
Well, my transmission died before I had a chance to come up with many options so I had to take it in to a local shop. It is getting torn down today and they are wondering what TC I want. They have a heavy duty 3 disc with billet cover for $750 and a "extreme" for $1,500. The shop guy really likes the extreme but I really like the $750 I would save. I figure if they OEM lasted 186k the HD should last longer than that. Is it worth it to got for the extreme? What will it get me? I do not do a ton of towing. Just my tractor and trailer now and then - ~6k.

Thanks

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my transmission died before I had a chance to come up with many options so I had to take it in to a local shop. It is getting torn down today and they are wondering what TC I want. They have a heavy duty 3 disc with billet cover for $750 and a "extreme" for $1,500. The shop guy really likes the extreme but I really like the $750 I would save. I figure if they OEM lasted 186k the HD should last longer than that. Is it worth it to got for the extreme? What will it get me? I do not do a ton of towing. Just my tractor and trailer now and then - ~6k.

Thanks

most transmission failures are from overheated fluid, AKA lack of fluid changes.
I would get the $750 TC and definately spend some dime on some synthetic ATF and oversize trans cooler.

regular cheap ATF= 30,000 mile change interval
quality ATF = 40,000 mile change interval
real synthetic ATF 50/90.000 nile change interval

fluid cheap, trans rebuild not cheap! and depending who does your transmission you may never get the same transmission back!

Javier

RenoF250

Reaction score
most transmission failures are from overheated fluid, AKA lack of fluid changes.
I would get the $750 TC and definately spend some dime on some synthetic ATF and oversize trans cooler.

regular cheap ATF= 30,000 mile change interval
quality ATF = 40,000 mile change interval
real synthetic ATF 50/90.000 nile change interval

fluid cheap, trans rebuild not cheap! and depending who does your transmission you may never get the same transmission back!

Javier

I use good fluid and change it at ~30k. I tried synthetic in the transfer case once and it didn't seem to last longer so I went back to regular. The synth is a bit too rich for my blood but if I towed more I would probably use it.

This transmission has never been more than 210 and that was a short period pulling a trailer awhile back when it started having problems. I think the slipping caused the heat. I was going to take it to Reno last weekend and it went from ~130 to 195 just getting up to speed with no trailer. I will probably get a cooler for it in the spring, it should not need one this winter and I am way short of cash.

It is at a small shop so I should be getting my transmission back. They did not have a rebuilds around but a lot of rebuild kits.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never reuse a E4DOA torque converter.
ask the shop who is doing the reman where the converter is coming from.
there are only two high volume rebuilders in the area.
I source the ones for my shop from PDQ. I used to get them from ATC.
Still, the most I paid for on a triple disc converter is $750. iirc the latest one I'm getting is around $500. even with a 30% mu, I don't get near his prices.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Converter Concepts is where I got the converter I put in my 95 when I did the tranny upgrades (Trans-go Tugger II, UCC converter, Tru-Cool) several years back. I put 50K miles on it and that was with the Stg I injectors and chipped. Towed my 26' TT all over the Rockies. The tranny was still in very good order when I traded the truck in.

I dont know what Lenny's pricing is these days but when I bought my converter from him he was very reasonable. Half of what you are looking to spend on the triple disc set up.

RenoF250

Reaction score
never reuse a E4DOA torque converter.
ask the shop who is doing the reman where the converter is coming from.
there are only two high volume rebuilders in the area.
I source the ones for my shop from PDQ. I used to get them from ATC.
Still, the most I paid for on a triple disc converter is $750. iirc the latest one I'm getting is around $500. even with a 30% mu, I don't get near his prices.

I just got back from there and I am not happy. They said there is $625 in hard parts damage/wear. The center carrier, center carrier kit, pump, and forward drum along with one of the clutch cages they said are all worn. He showed them to me and none look that bad but I do not want to put marginal stuff back in. They also want to replace the solenoid pack for ~$330 which seems high to me. They said mine is leaking. I found a pack on the internet for $185 and asked them why so much and they got indignant. I am not real happy but I do not think it is worth packing it up and moving it somewhere else now. I wish I had more time to do research and perhaps build it myself.

The TC they get comes from C&P.

My final bill with tax and me providing the ATF and Tugger kit is $3,902. A far cry from the $2,800 I was quoted.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
That's to much IMO!
John Woods sell his tow master fo $3300 IIRC and RacerX sells his for $3200. A BTS is $4300 not to much more than what the shop has told you. I'd call JW And see what he can send your way for them to install. http://jwtt.com/

To answer your TC question get the triple for $750 and make sure the mod the pump for for flow at lock up.

I'm running a RacerX triple that I love and paid $750 plus ship for it.

RenoF250

Reaction score
That's to much IMO!
John Woods sell his tow master fo $3300 IIRC and RacerX sells his for $3200. A BTS is $4300 not to much more than what the shop has told you. I'd call JW And see what he can send your way for them to install. http://jwtt.com/

To answer your TC question get the triple for $750 and make sure the mod the pump for for flow at lock up.

I'm running a RacerX triple that I love and paid $750 plus ship for it.

I agree but that is removed and installed with tax. It is getting the Tugger kit (I supplied) put in and some other hard part upgrades. I think it will be a very solid transmission when done. There is just no cheap way out of this. I think they are gigging me a bit for the parts though. That is what you get when you have to do something right away I guess.

Take the JW with tax and R&R and it would be well over $4k.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
I understand your point. Anyhow check your local guy prices against these guys and see where your getting took. Maybe you can get the price down.

RenoF250

Reaction score
I understand your point. Anyhow check your local guy prices against these guys and see where your getting took. Maybe you can get the price down.

Yeah, I went over the prices on some of the parts with them but the own is out. She will back back on Monday so I will take it up with her. Perhaps I can get a couple hundred off.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from there and I am not happy. They said there is $625 in hard parts damage/wear. The center carrier, center carrier kit, pump, and forward drum along with one of the clutch cages they said are all worn. He showed them to me and none look that bad but I do not want to put marginal stuff back in. They also want to replace the solenoid pack for ~$330 which seems high to me. They said mine is leaking. I found a pack on the internet for $185 and asked them why so much and they got indignant. I am not real happy but I do not think it is worth packing it up and moving it somewhere else now. I wish I had more time to do research and perhaps build it myself.

The TC they get comes from C&P.

My final bill with tax and me providing the ATF and Tugger kit is $3,902. A far cry from the $2,800 I was quoted.
it's too bad you're 3-4 hours away from me. I know which parts are the ones that let go often and the pricing they're giving you is more than what I would charge. Still, I hate doing these transmissions. imho, the expanse of valve body area is where the problems start for comebacks. this is especially true if the trans has been badly overheated.
if they are going to charge you what they are charging, make sure you have a good warranty to hold their hand to the fire if something goes wrong.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
it's too bad you're 3-4 hours away from me. I know which parts are the ones that let go often and the pricing they're giving you is more than what I would charge. Still, I hate doing these transmissions. imho, the expanse of valve body area is where the problems start for comebacks. this is especially true if the trans has been badly overheated.
if they are going to charge you what they are charging, make sure you have a good warranty to hold their hand to the fire if something goes wrong.

Check the case with a straight edge before reassembly. It will save you a lot of aggravation down the road.:D

sassyrel

Reaction score

a REAL good warranty!!!!!!!--me thinks they are hanging him--cause its in their shop--im just enough indignant--id tell them to put my stuff in the truck bed--and haul it elsewhere--

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin