Torque converter shutttttter

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What causes it? Is the clutch disk inside worn out? It will mainly do it under turbo boost but every now and then under normal acceleration, Does it need to be upgraded to handle the turbo or is a good rebuilt stock one going to be fine.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E40d is a flawed trans design. Look up the E40d on the web there are some kits to fix this problem.

sassyrel

Reaction score
The E40d is a flawed trans design. Look up the E40d on the web there are some kits to fix this problem.

tell that,,to the people that designed it..where do you get your qualifying info from...lets just talk,,about gm;s M A N Y, failed trans designs......................and chryslers wonderful overdrive dsl trans...talk on....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
What causes it? Is the clutch disk inside worn out? It will mainly do it under turbo boost but every now and then under normal acceleration, Does it need to be upgraded to handle the turbo or is a good rebuilt stock one going to be fine.

Shutter is caused by low pressure, worn frictions, warped steels or a damaged piston.

Fixes are usually an upgraded regulator spring with a better designed converter. There is other stuff that can be done for extreme duty.:D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

The E4 had some issues, far from flawed. 89 was the worst year because it was the first. 98 gas, 97 diesel were the best.
But like any tranny including manuals, there is room for improvement.:D

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Running a pressure test is not difficult. You will need a gage, and some hydrolic line. I don't know the pressure levels, so I can't tell you what range you will need. (I just have c6 literature) I'm sure someone, likely Oldbull, has the pressure test chart for it.

Or....
Guys over at Explorer forums have almost every ATSG manual known to man... or at least it seems that way. Might want to hop on over, and have a look. The manual will have the specifics on the test.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I hope its only the converter it only happens when it locks 1.1 shifts fine through the gears and the fluid is super clean not burnt,I have read a few posts about it and some say to just change the fluid and filter but would like some input you guys,Your all alot more trust worthy...:hail

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Really can't go wrong with a fluid and filter change. Altho, often times that will reveal much deeper problems when the extra friction from dirty fluid goes away, and the new detergents clean things up.

Sounds like once the TC locks fully, the clutch piston isn't holding hard enough. That can be caused by a restricted filter, but it could be much worse. It's a cheap, albeit dirty, job to swap the filter out. It really couldn't hurt to try it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks, I hope its only the converter it only happens when it locks 1.1 shifts fine through the gears and the fluid is super clean not burnt,I have read a few posts about it and some say to just change the fluid and filter but would like some input you guys,Your all alot more trust worthy...:hail

Your converter is on its way out. Most likely the clutch is worn out.

Your best bet is to swap out the converter before it totaly quits.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The center assembly (main rotating mass) is only supported by 2 small bearings, :confused: this and the fact that the cooler is out of the loop in ODcookoo are ust 2 of the many things wrong with the E40d. The band pistons are to small to hold the planitary gears under towing conditions. the shifts are to soft and the torq converter slips badly in OD just before it down shifts from OD to Drive from low pressure from the fact that it stays in OD to long before shifting down and the input rpm is to low to have enuff pressure to hold the shift especially when Hot. OH and I have had two E4od's Crap out on me. :mad: The first one in a 90 f150 then another in a 94 f150 Both with less than 70 k miles. :dunnoIf you look hard enuff you can find performance shift kits for the E4od that will fix some of the problems. aftermarket two stage torq converter and Put a monster cooler on it. After I had my 94 trans rebuilt it was a much better performing trans. more towing torq, tighter shifts and the torq converter locked up tighter and inproved highway MPG Only cost me 1800.00 bucks. :eek: and that was in 1999.....

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the torq converter slips badly in OD just before it down shifts from OD to Drive from low pressure from the fact that it stays in OD to long before shifting down and the input rpm is to low to have enuff pressure to hold the shift especially when Hot.

FINALLY! somebody else who has the same issue i do. it is a royal PITA sometimes b/c you want/need a downshift but you are pooring the coal to 'er and you are still under 1500 rpm in o/d. then once it finally does realize and say, "hey maybe mr. driver does what a lower gear",(usually once the go-pedal is matted to the floor) it down shifts and is quite aggressive. all the while you are lugging the **** outa it and dumping coal on the cars next to you/behind you.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some digging I found this zip file on FTE with all the updates, codes and trouble shooting its a great file,LOTs of info.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/120175-rebuilding-e4od-33.html

Scroll down to were it says zip file on post #487

If I had low oil pressure I should be flashing code 62/628

Before or after overhaul code 62/628 (TCC slippage).
Code 62/628 will set when the computer calls for LU but does not see
1. Change in rpm (no LU at all- electrical or mechanical problem).
2. Enough of a change in rpm (converter clutch or forward, intermediate, direct or
OD clutches slipping). Usually converter clutch then directs.
Cause and correction
Mechanical
Listed by most common
1. Warped or cracked LU piston. This is the most common and number one
reason for code 62/628. Ford completely redesigned the piston making it
much stronger. LUK manufactures the new piston for Ford and when you
buy a rebuilt torque converter always specify that you want it with the
updated piston. The rebuilt converter costs more money because of the
updated piston but it eliminates the most common cause of code 62/628.
2. Slipping direct clutch (especially common in diesels) Make sure your using
E4OD frictions and not C6. All diesels should use 4 frictions in direct. Use
only steel sealing rings on center support to prevent high clutch circuit
leaks.
3. Pump- A worn pump with excessive side gear clearance will produce low
pump pressure, which can be enough to cause the converter clutch to not
hold or slip setting code 62/628. Make sure the pump you're using is perfect.
If not and you have to replace it Ford has a updated pump assembly with
larger gears for increased volume part # F5TZ-7A103-A.
4. Make sure converter clutch shift and apply valves in the stator are not
sticking or that the springs are not mixed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online